return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
recording from the mixer withOUT a computer
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Moyn
for whatever reason my laptop has the bed and i can't record my mixes on it anymore. i think its got something to do with the soundcard in it. anyways, i'll eventually be getting a new desktop comp to place in the studio. is there any device out there that i can just plug into my mixer to record that way. sorta like save it and then i can transfer that to my other desktop where i can then burn cd's? i'm using a djm-500 as my mixer. and my desktop now is upstairs and my studio is in the basement. so i can't move the desktop down there. just looking for a quite, cheap fix till i get the new comp
n3lly
Dunno if they're any good but..

http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm

Maybe someone on here can comment on them?

nelly
veezee
maybe not so cheap.. but there are many options

Sony MD recorder
iKEY recorder <- neato!
hriver recorder
standalone burner such as the hhb burnit cdr850

Jay
DJ Moyn
thanks guys, i knew there devices out there, just didn't know the names. that ikey looks pimp
Spirit5
Almost any MP3 player with line-in will work. I have an old Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, and it's a bit bulky for an MP3 player, it's like 4 years old, but it works really well recording my sets. It sounds just as good as what you would record with on a computer...
Psiweaver
the sony mds are very nice.
superglo
walkman ?
DJ Moyn
quote:
Originally posted by Psiweaver
the sony mds are very nice.

i've already got a sony MD, what kind of cables do you use to hook it up? i've already looked at real quick when i first got it, i don't think it any inputs that could have worked. it is a recordable minidisc player. but i haven't used it lately i'll have to find it and try again.
Trogdor
With the iKey, you also need to have an iPod, or any other type of HDD.

Any commercial standalone CD burner will work. I got a TDK dual-deck burner from Best Buy for $150 a few years ago.
sr126
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Moyn
i've already got a sony MD, what kind of cables do you use to hook it up? i've already looked at real quick when i first got it, i don't think it any inputs that could have worked. it is a recordable minidisc player. but i haven't used it lately i'll have to find it and try again.

what kind of md do you have? i have an old rack mount. -so it has rca in/out on the back. i just fab'ed some cables to go from the unbalanced outs (1/4") of my mixer to the rca's on the md.

if you have a portable/handheld one, you just need to get a Y-cable. (pair of rca's one end, and 1/8" headphone connector on the other end) hook up the rca's to the un-balanced rca outs (buy 1/4" adapter if your mixer doesn't have rca outs) and plug the 1/8" headphone into the "line in" jack on the mini-disc player. voila. as far as i know, there isn't a portable MD, or cosumer rackmount w/ 1/4" I/O.

DJ Moyn
quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor
With the iKey, you also need to have an iPod, or any other type of HDD.

Any commercial standalone CD burner will work. I got a TDK dual-deck burner from Best Buy for $150 a few years ago.

not true. you don't need an ipod. you can you use a usb storage unit of anykind. the sandisk portable things( forget the names) work fine. according to thier site anyways. looks good, but i read some flaws on it
Trogdor
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Moyn
not true. you don't need an ipod. you can you use a usb storage unit of anykind. the sandisk portable things( forget the names) work fine. according to thier site anyways. looks good, but i read some flaws on it
Well, I said other HDD (reread my post), I suppose flash works too.

iKey Pro coming soon, check it out, looks sweet.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement