return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
get bpms?
View this Thread in Original format
msz
thought it would be a good idea to start sticking bpm stickers on all my vinyl sleeves. (inside the sleeve actually) Would anyone happen to know the best way finding out vinyl bpm according to label. i mean, is there a comprehensive list somewhere? thanks.
Timski
Why do people do this...? Just listen too it if it wont mix... dont bother. There is no magical secret unlocked when you know the bpm of things.

I am guessing you dont have bpm counters on any of your equipment?

As far as a comprehensive list goes... I cant say ive ever heard or seen one... then again i havent looked
msz
...anyways.
Xtracktor
quote:
Originally posted by Timski
Why do people do this...? Just listen too it if it wont mix... dont bother. There is no magical secret unlocked when you know the bpm of things.

+1

I would say only use a BPM counter in extreme conditions, but for the most part train you ear to know the bpms.
pkcRAISTLIN
knowing the exact bpms can be helpful for harmonic mixing.

never heard of a database with bpms though. which means lots of grunt work for you ;)
msz
hmm, its pretty hard. damn google!
Munchy
If you encode them into MP3's, you could use Traktor DJ Studio to analyze the tracks to get an approximate BPM.

Or you could just go old skool, pick up a metronome, and try to figure out the BPM :p
msz
arent external bpm counters available; would they be precise.
msz
bah i give up. thread closed.
Trance Nutter
this is gonna suck to do, but if you're so determined to get the bpms, count how many beats there are in 15 seconds and multiply by 4.

stefanoc
i think abelton live demo does the job, but not too sure.

im assuming you dont have a cdj.

for all those saying bpm is unnecessary, you are making things harder on yourself. if my set is at 140bpm, why even bother shoving another song in to test the bpm if its slower than 132bpm? why waste the time and put it in the cd player and listen to it and find out the bpm that way? hell if my set is at 140bpm, i look at my case and select a song at 139bpm and adjust the pitch by +0.80 and then tweak it a bit more and done. its great for any purpose, whether harmonic mixing or not.
Aquarian
quote:
Originally posted by Timski

It's very useful for knowing how much you can pitch bend without screwing up the key.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement