return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Help me with quick audio equipment power question?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Chrono
Hi quick post before i go out for dinner,

I just got a tube amp from Hong Kong, the guy said it would work in Canada fine. On the back of the amp there is a little red switch with the numbers 220 and 110, depending which way it's fliped. Dont want to risk breaking something, so can anyone tell me which setting it should be on? thanks-
grooviebeats
my turn tables have the same switch and i use 220. its the volts i think.
Zenchowdah
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
Are you sure, becuase the US runs at 110 volts at 60hz, and I am 100% sure Canada does the same thing.

its not gonna affect a whole lot.
colonelcrisp
uhhh ya it will.... europe runs on 220V (230V +- 10%) at 50hz. for turntables this is not good as that frequency is what is used to control the motor rpm. you want 110v, 60hz. the voltage and frequency isnt so bad for the equipment, but europe runs on a different phase than north america and that can relaly up your , not to mention the good ol V-iR equation. voltage = current * resistance. and the power equation P = viR.
ZeJayMan
quote:
uhhh ya it will.... europe runs on 220V (230V +- 10%) at 50hz. for turntables this is not good as that frequency is what is used to control the motor rpm. you want 110v, 60hz. the voltage and frequency isnt so bad for the equipment, but europe runs on a different phase than north america and that can relaly up your , not to mention the good ol V-iR equation. voltage = current * resistance. and the power equation P = viR.

WORD!
DJ Chrono
Thanks for the replies, the amp is working nicely on 110.

Btw the tube sound is amazing, it's the first time i've experienced it.
grooviebeats
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
Are you sure, becuase the US runs at 110 volts at 60hz, and I am 100% sure Canada does the same thing.

nope they are in a coffin in my storage room i dont use them any more.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement