return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Technics 1200 MK5 vs. Stanton ST-150
View this Thread in Original format
cmay119
What is the better turntable? I'm about to purchase 2 new decks in the coming weeks/months and so it really comes down to this decision. I know the Technics are an industry standard, but if I went with the Stantons and then tried to mix on the technics would it be completely foreign? Or would I be able to adapt pretty easily? The Stantons have higher torque and more features, but the wow and flutter doesn't seem to be as rated as good as the technics.

Need the opinions of the veterans. I already own a table that's alright (Stanton ST-100), but it's discontinued, and I'd eventually go with 2 better tables in the end anyways. So my decision on vinyl mixing is final.

Thanks for the help all. :)
Tsukai
I use to own a pair of Stanton T.80. Not the greatest, but good starter decks. I know the T.150's got a lot more torque, however I assume its got the same wow & flutter as the t.80 (the w&f of t80 drove me nuts sometimes). Anyways, after owning t.80 for 2 weeks, I couldn't stand to use them anymore, and brought them back and picked up the mk5's instead. Never regretted that decision.

Going from stanton, to techs, was not foreign for me at all. The few things you will notice is that, you have only have +/-8% pitch to play with instead, and no reverse switch. Everything is should be exactly the same and you really should have no trouble adapting.
cmay119
Cool, thanks for the reply. Which 1200's should I go with though? Would the 1200 MK2's be good enough or should I go with MK5 or even the Grand Master Flash edition ones? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make the right decision.
DJ 00 Tommy
They are both equally good.
Some will argue one is better then the other.
Its all just prefrence and if you have sucessfuly started another flame war then stfu ;)

Techs are tried and tested for over 20 years but basically havnt changed alot... Stantons new deck is supposed to be just as relaible but with a few extra bells and whistles.
The techs have been standard but the stantons are being seen more and more in clubs. I own techs right now but if i was buying new decks i would just go for whichever is cheaper. A turntable is a turntable... they both work so who cares?
blacknoizybox
quote:
Originally posted by DJ 00 Tommy
...the stantons are being seen more and more in clubs...

thats great news. my pair of st-150s are delayed unfortunately, but i think if i were to choose between Techs and Stanton ST-150, id go for ST-150..
p.s. what clubs are they installed in? maybe some famous ibiza ones? :) just curious
Tsukai
One major difference between mk2 and mk5 i noticed are the zero click on the pitch fader of the mk2. The on/off switch has been redisigned on the mk5's. (im guessing it broke off too easily?) Everything else should be the same, torque, w&f etc.
cmay119
quote:
Originally posted by DJ 00 Tommy
They are both equally good.
Some will argue one is better then the other.
Its all just prefrence and if you have sucessfuly started another flame war then stfu ;)

Techs are tried and tested for over 20 years but basically havnt changed alot... Stantons new deck is supposed to be just as relaible but with a few extra bells and whistles.
The techs have been standard but the stantons are being seen more and more in clubs. I own techs right now but if i was buying new decks i would just go for whichever is cheaper. A turntable is a turntable... they both work so who cares?

Thanks for the reply, that's cool that the stantons are starting to be used more in clubs so I won't be SOL if I do decide to go with those.
Sorry if this does turn into a flame war, that was/is not my intention and am asking a genuine question on what is the better deck. Thanks :)
djkoolaide
Srsly, why doesn't anyone just realize that Techs are simply the way to go? They have been tried and tested for 30 years, and there is a REASON that they have been the industry standard for all of this time. They are built like tanks (really, I've used a pair of Techs after one of them fell off of a table onto a cement floor. It was dented up but, of course, plugged everything in and worked just like it was brand new). I've heard so many horror stories of Stanton and (especially) Numark decks having their motors die after a year. Rarely do you hear of 1200s breaking down like that.

I dunno dude...the choice seems pretty obvious to me, but if you want to spend all the cash on some decks that look like toys and have some cool bells and whistles, go for it. If you want decks that are reliable, work right every time, and are nuclear bomb proof, go for 1200s.
cmay119
Well, since you put it like that. I guess the decision is made then ;).

Alright, you've convinced me. Now the question is, what flavor? MK2, MK5 or the Grand Master Flash edition (MG5's?).

Once again thanks for the help all. I appreciate it. :)
blacknoizybox
quote:
Originally posted by djkoolaide
I've heard so many horror stories of Stanton and (especially) Numark decks having their motors die after a year.

from what ive read in numerous reviews the Stanton's previous decks is one thing, and the ST-150 is another thing.

Trance Nutter
quote:
Srsly, why doesn't anyone just realize that Techs are simply the way to go? They have been tried and tested for 30 years, and there is a REASON that they have been the industry standard for all of this time. They are built like tanks (really, I've used a pair of Techs after one of them fell off of a table onto a cement floor. It was dented up but, of course, plugged everything in and worked just like it was brand new). I've heard so many horror stories of Stanton and (especially) Numark decks having their motors die after a year. Rarely do you hear of 1200s breaking down like that.

I dunno dude...the choice seems pretty obvious to me, but if you want to spend all the cash on some decks that look like toys and have some cool bells and whistles, go for it. If you want decks that are reliable, work right every time, and are nuclear bomb proof, go for 1200s.

^^has not used Stantons.

quote:
Srsly, why doesn't anyone just realize that Techs are simply the way to go?

what a crap quote.

**Yes I use the Stantons. And I love them, just like many other people. I'm not saying they are better than Techs, but it s me people who dismiss them out of hand having never even tried them. I have never heard bad stories about St 150's dying, Australia's best equipment store sells more St 150's than Techs, and has had Techs returned due to faults but not an St 150.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Trance Nutter
**Yes I use the Stantons. And I love them, just like many other people. I'm not saying they are better than Techs, but it s me people who dismiss them out of hand having never even tried them. I have never heard bad stories about St 150's dying, Australia's best equipment store sells more St 150's than Techs, and has had Techs returned due to faults but not an St 150.

haha, i was nicely corrected by marsh & nyquist just before you bought your decks. so ill agree with you here. still, i wouldnt swap my 1200s for anything, i love them. im sure if the stantons are still going in 30 years, they'll become the industry standard. im just one of those consumers that buys tried & trusted equipment over the newest and shiniest.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement