return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
cds or vinyl??? opinions pls.
View this Thread in Original format
dancevirtu
So i am lookin in to gettin a dj package (im a rookie). Im not lookin to make a career of this just a hobby. I cant decide what would be better turntables or cds. I obviously like the idea of having back up copies on cd instead of one vinyl that I can break, lose and have to replace at retail cost. Although I do like classic vinyl its the root and I like that. Is there a difference in sound quality, scratching..ect. Like I said its a hobby I have no experience and I dont have tons of cash to spend on vinyl (unless its worth it). So I would appreciate your advice for I have no idea what im doing.
thanx
dancevirt
DJ 00 Tommy
There is a 52 page long sticky at the top of the dj booth called vinyl vs cds and if you do a search you will find many others...
Aquarian
Don't listen to anyone's personal preferance, they all have their reasons. You be your own judge.

Vinyl

PROS:

- "Authentic feel"
- Very slight difference in sound
- Scratching
- Turntables cheaper than CDJs

CONS:

- Expensive to buy
- Harder to find (in some cases)
- Wears out quickly, limited lifetime
- Cracks and pops (so much for the quality argument)
- Storage is very space-demanding (if you have a large collection)
- Alot of recent tracks aren't released on vinyl

CDs

PROS:

- Easier to find (sometimes)
- Sound quality never degrades no matter how much you play it
- Portable - You can store hundreds in a small wallet.
- Cheaper than vinyl
- Allows more sound manipulation
- Access to a wider catalogue of tracks
- Possibility to burn MP3s onto CDRs (which is a must if you produce)

CONS:

- CDJs are expensive
- Can't scratch (unless your CDJ has it as an integrated feature)
- Some older classics were never released on CD
- Insecure elitists will think you're the antichrist, but who cares about them ;)
idoru
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian
Don't listen to anyone's personal preferance, they all have their reasons. You be your own judge.

Vinyl

PROS:

- "Authentic feel"
- Very slight difference in sound
- Scratching
- Turntables cheaper than CDJs

CONS:

- Expensive to buy
- Harder to find (in some cases)
- Cracks and pops (so much for the quality argument)
- Storage is very space-demanding (if you have a large collection)
- Alot of recent tracks aren't released on vinyl

CDs

PROS:

- Easier to find (sometimes)
- Sound quality never degrades no matter how much you play it
- Portable - You can store hundreds in a small wallet.
- Cheaper than vinyl
- Allows more sound manipulation
- Access to a wider catalogue of tracks
- Possibility to burn MP3s onto CDRs (which is a must if you produce)

CONS:

- CDJs are expensive
- Can't scratch (unless your CDJ has it as an integrated feature)
- Some older classics were never released on CD
- Insecure elitists will think you're the antichrist, but who cares about them ;)

spdandpwr
i agree with everything above but i don't understand the sound manipulation thing....also you forgot to mention that you can edit tracks, burn it onto a cd, and then mix with it...it's great
Aquarian
errr, you kinda just answered your own question there :conf:
harriz
quote:
Originally posted by dancevirtu
So i am lookin in to gettin a dj package (im a rookie). Im not lookin to make a career of this just a hobby. I cant decide what would be better turntables or cds. I obviously like the idea of having back up copies on cd instead of one vinyl that I can break, lose and have to replace at retail cost. Although I do like classic vinyl its the root and I like that. Is there a difference in sound quality, scratching..ect. Like I said its a hobby I have no experience and I dont have tons of cash to spend on vinyl (unless its worth it). So I would appreciate your advice for I have no idea what im doing.
thanx
dancevirt

Hello.

I would recomend you buy a pair of techs and rane serato and you will have the best of both worlds ;)Since you are only looking for a hobby this is the ideal setup for you.
You will be able to play your mp3s and waves (If you are paying for them I suggest you buy waves) so you will have an instant record collection plus you will be able to start building a physical collection.
Let's face it nothing beats a trip to the record shop.

There are tunes that are vinyl only releases and there are tunes that are digital only.

You will have a huge library most vinyl jocks won't plus you will have skill most cd djs don't (If you can manually pitch bend you can mix on anything that has a pitch control.)
It's like a bedroom djs dream come true really.
You can now take your trilions of mp3s and grab them and cue them like records!
What more could you ask for?
DFOP04
^^^^ +1000 on that, ive just bought serato and its the bees knees, im 100% happy with it, such a great product, ive been spinning for nearly 4 years now, and since having serato in the last month ive got almost as many wavs/mp3 files as i have vinyl (that ive been collecting for 4 years). tunes are so dam cheap, it gives you so much more variety, is a very very good product, would recommend to anyone. digital is the way forward, but by no means am i chucking in the vinyl, still love the vinyl feel,SSL is the best of both worlds!!
Allen Mueller
Another vote for Serato. You get the best of both worlds.

allen
DOOMBOT
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian
Vinyl

Last night I was playing records double your age. I doubt if cd's were around as long, you could say the same.

adi26
Sweet, I was just about to make a thread on this...even I am thinking of mixing as a hobby.

What is this Ableton software all about? What I would really like to do is sit at home and mix songs and create my own mixx...:cool:

Would Ableton suffice??
DJ 00 Tommy
Click here and download the demo. Mess around with it and see for yourself.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement