return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Sounds Like a Trainwreck but it's not.
View this Thread in Original format
Pinokio
Yesterday I played at a club, and was a little confused about beatmatching.

at the DJ Booth I could listen to a song played alone, and in it's normal state, it sounded like it was a Trainwreck.
also in this place you will every part in your body, so you are constantly trembling.

I could get the beatmatching properly, but it was much harder for me to do it, I had to blast the headphones, and it was ocnfusing.

The Club is small, and it's extremely loud, I think maybe it's beacuse of this, that the sound is bouncing all over the place, and you get the feeling that tracks are Trainwrecking.

When you are in the club area in doesn't sound like trainwreck that much, but int he DJ Booth it's more noticeable the supposed trainwreck.

I don't know if it's my ear that it's too picky about the trainwrecks, or it's the normal sound of this place.

Has this ever happened to one of you, and if so, what's the main reason for this to happen?

Thanks...
Greedy
Well unless you DJ in a concert auditorium or at a church-like arena (Avalon, NYC), most clubs/venues weren't made to be acoustically sound unless someone invested big money to make it. ON top of that, the dj booth is most of the time put someplace where you would think its common knowledge not to put it . . .for example, in the corner. Placement of the house speakers and monitor speakers is important but things like that, most amateur promoter wouldnt even think about. Its one of the finer details where experience comes in and you would think that the promoter would consider the DJ a lil more. Afterall, if the DJ has difficulty playing music, that could really bust a party.
Pinokio
Well this club was crazy, the osund is good overall for the audience, but in the DJ Booth, tracks seems to ebhaving trainwrecks by themselves.

so the reason it osund liekthis it's beacuise it's not acoustacally placed the DJ Booth, and the sounds come from everywhere and ar enot in real time.

I don't know, Still I'm confused.
jdat
Sounds is going to arrive from many different areas, depending on where you are located in the club it may be worse.

Just turn up the booth monitors or mix more through your headphones.

These are things you will have to learn to work with.
IntegraR0064
Right, that's what the monitors are for. Turn em up so that they're the main thing you hear.
Pinokio
Well I mix only trhough mny headphones, still I don't know how to beatmatch witht he one cup method, that's hwy I turn off the monitors.

so Maybe is better if I start learnign the 1 cup method,that way, when I find mysself in this kind of situation I can use the monitors.

Thanks for the advice
sr126
i went thu this too... and did the exact same thing you did... turn down the monitors. horrible experience trying to concentrate on what's going on the headphones, and having all the bass come back at you out of sync w/the music in the headphones throwning you off. after that i started to learn to spin using monitors.

definately invest time getting used to beatmatching using the one ear method. you will find that it's much easier to do the job w/the monitors. it's neve racking and frustrating in the begining... but force your self to concentrate extra hard on keeping your beats together. after a while, it will feel normal and natural. it's just part of the growing process.
Greedy
yea stuff like this happening can only be dealt with time and experience. I mean its not like you can tell the promoter to move the whole setup so you have no choice but to deal with it.

I dj every week at this small lounge and Ill tell you the setup is horrendous on all levels. The booth is in the corner, and the monitors are weak. So not only do I hear music bounce at me from different directions, I also feel it in my feet. When I first started djing there, I would get super tense because it was just too much for my mind to deal with altogether EVERY mix. But after a while, I developed an immunity to it and I learned to mix great on it. Now, when I play at other gigs, I have no problem mixing on any setup given to me.

Ive learned to monitor within my headphones like a champ, better utilize cue/master knob, and learned that having the monitors or headphones blastin in your ear isnt always a good thing. When Im having a tricky mix, I like to turn my headphones and monitors down so it forces me to really "listen" to what is going on rather than depend on the music blaring into my face.
Zild
Whoever installed the sound system was probably half retarded. Blast those monitors.
Greedy
no it wasnt. The place is co owned by Palash. But when they first opened up, they had no intention of it being a success with house music played there rather than middle eastern music. Next week they are closing down the place for a week or two to change the whole place around and perhaps elevating the booth elsewhere!

Zild
I wasn't even talking to you.
Greedy
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I wasn't even talking to you.

should learn to use the quote function.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement