return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

SSL n00b question
View this Thread in Original format
limin_li
So I just brought a new Serato Scratch Live. I've got the drivers install as well as the program it self. I've pluged my two turntables inputs as well as outputs. The program loaded up mp3s perfectly, but when i hit play, its giving me that "This is a test." sound effect, what gives? Please help me

LL
ASFSE
lol sorry, this is off topic, but i thought this was gonna be about the waves plugins...lol.................:stongue:
Christopher J
You are actually hearing the control record tone. You can hear the control record if you have the "phono" channel active.

For Serato to work, hook up the "Line" into the mixer. The "Phono" output on SSL is for playing 'real' vinyl, thus the control record is audible.

Optimally, you want a 4 channel mixer. Two of the inputs for Serato will go into a ‘Line In’ on the mixer, say Channel 1 & 2. The other two inputs will be for bypassing SSL and playing normal vinyl, Channel 3&4.

I also suggest that you read the manual for calibrating your decks.
Vero
ill clarify a little. so if you have the serato interface (the little black box) hooked up properly, you will have your TTs going to the inputs. the line out puts will go to the line inputs of your mixer (ch. 1 & 2 for example). the phono out puts go to the phono inputs of ch. 1 & 2.

so now if you wanna play an mp3 from your left TT, you have ch 1 set to line. if you wanna play wax from your right TT, you put ch 2 to phono, and vice versa.

line=mp3
phono=vinyl

there is no reason to run the phono outs to ch 1 & 2 and the line outputs to ch 3 & 4. its pointless and confusing. just make sure that the outputs phono1 and line1 are going to the same channel on your mixer, and and phono2 and line2 are going to the same channel.

got it?
cool.
DjWoody
Vero got it right. I'm very active in the Serato community and I use it all the time. If you have any other questions, just ask.

You might also want to try the Serato message board. Everyone there is really helpful.

http://www.scratchlive.net/forum

:eyespop:

Vero
chris was right about the sound you are hearing, its the audio from the serato record. if you have everything hooked up properly, your solution is literally as easy as the flip of a switch (in this case phono to line)
discobiscuit
SSL has great customer support. Store 425-551-1834 in your phone so you. when you call just say "i'm calling about serato scratch" and they will transfer you... when i'm in a jam before gigs or whatever and i'm not around a computer, i just call them.

bisco
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement