return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

what mixer to buy allen and heath xone 62 or djm 600?
View this Thread in Original format
Scolomon
i have narrowed it down to both the xone 62 or the djm 600

all i need to know is does the xone have the same effects the djm does? does it have delay or echo or any of that?
i want to be able to add those effects to my mixing so i sound more dynamic so it is important i get a mixer with those features
any suggestions?
Trance Nutter
Xone only has filters. no effects.

I'd get the Xone still though. 600 is outdated and gets ted on by sound quality (in particular) and 4 band eq. People seem to think the Xone is nicer to use too, but I suppose thats personal preference.

What about the Nuo-5? Looks to be the best of both worlds.
cbrendan
quote:
i have narrowed it down to both the xone 62 or the djm 600

Well ive had both. Bought a 600 4 months ago when i originally bought my set up.. (2 cdj1000mk2 + djm 600). Then just 2 weeks ago i sold my 600 and bought a xone 62.

Couldn't be happier. IMO the effects on the 600 are rubbish. They are fun to play around with. The pan effect is pretty cool, u can do some cool stuff by panning an intro of a song in line with the beat over the song your mixing out of, but can be done manually just as easily. Delay can be used to add extra ooomph (if thats a word) to the bass, or create a breakbeat beat. But imo sounds crap.

Whereas on the xone the filters are amazing. after 2 weeks of mucking aorund my fav effect is using the LPF on both channels.. and bringing the cued track up to full volume, but with the only the bass... and then gradually bringing in the mids and treble as they come out of the other track. Really cool effect. I'm sure thats only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what the xone can do.

My opinion...., i'm glad i bought the 600 first to learn on. Every club ive played on has either that or a djm3000. Which is basically identical. And sound quality wise. If its for home, unless you have audiophile speakers.... don't even worry. But in terms of the effects, the xone leaves the 600 for dead.

The xone also feels "better built".. i dunno. more polished maybe. All the knobs and faders just scream class.

So basically if your looking at a xone 62 / djm 600, your not on the tighest budget. Buy the xone 62, enjoy it... never look back... but if you do find you regret not having pioneer style effects, buy a efx 500.

I'm considering getting one in a few months once i feel ive mastered everything the xone by its self has to offer.

XONE 62 + EFX 500 completly kills the 600.
Scolomon
i have just noticed djs in clubs REALLY using the echo and reverb WITH filters and have been able to create some out of control builds before they drop the song back in full force and it just blows my mind

basically i want to do that

are you guys saying a djm 600's echo and reverb w/filters wont really accomplish this?
cbrendan
quote:
Originally posted by Scolomon
using the echo and reverb WITH filters .... are you guys saying a djm 600's echo and reverb w/filters wont really accomplish this?

600's echo and reverb + filters.... where are the filters coming from... the filter on the 600 goes in and out with the beat. or 1/2 the beat, double the beat etc... its nothing like the xone.... and it can't be used at the same time as any other effects.

i don't know whether i tottaly understand what your asking, but xone filters plus echo and reverb on efx 500 seems what you need.

Maybe a xone 32 + efx 500 instead of a djm 600 or xone 62?
Zild
I don't even think you can use all of those effects at the same time.
cbrendan
yeah the effects on a 600 have to be used one at a time. You cant use more than one at once.

Maybe the effects you saw at a club that had a 600 was done on a cdj200, in combinaation with a 600? Then again i have no idea how the effects on a 200 work so i'm just guessing there.
Scolomon
i think you are right, there must have been an EFX hooked up to there

on a different note, maybe you guys can explain what this effect is called

i hear it typically either in buildups or between songs and it sounds like a fwooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhh sound

djs usually use it when they are building up to drop something in
what exactly are they doing to accomplish this?
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Scolomon
i hear it typically either in buildups or between songs and it sounds like a fwooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhh sound

djs usually use it when they are building up to drop something in
what exactly are they doing to accomplish this?

Tbh it's probably either a part of the track or it's just the flanger (on DJM600, there isn't one on the xone62), or maybe just a high-pass filter sweep on a Xone.

As has already been said, the DJM600 fx are very overused and can sound very tacky. They can still be used to great effect, but the ways to do this subtly aren't immediately obvious and can take a fair amount of ingenuity and intuition. The Xone filters are also overused a lot of the time, or just used for very simple and easy just-for-the-sake-of-it sweeps, but they can be very useful for subtly bringing sounds in/out and creating some cool fx - again this takes a decent bit of experience and intuition to know how to do it well and ideally make it sound like part of the track playing.

I use delay/echo effects and filters quite a lot in my sets and personally I usually prefer to have the filters on the whole if I have to choose between them... for a trance/hard trance set I'd rather turn up to find a Xone62 than a DJM600 but for a techno set a lot of the time I'd rather be on a DJM600.

If you really want both filters and echo/delay fx on your mixer, you could go for the Denon DN-X1500, which has both manual filters and all of the fx the DJM600 has (apart from reverb, but with a stutter effect instead) and is packed full of other features, but it has several drawbacks: there's a slight lag on channel faders (which the Xone:62 also has), the build quality isn't quite as good as you'd hope, the filters aren't anywhere near as good as the A&H filters (but still piss all over the filter effect on the DJM600), etc... although despite all of that I'd rather play on one of them than just about any other mixer (apart from a Xone:92 with an EFX-500, maybe)

Still yet to try an Ecler NU05 but it looks very promising.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement