return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Legal Mixes
View this Thread in Original format
IcyLogik
Hi all, newbie here.

Let's say I bought several tracks from Beatport, songs which I paid for and own. Am I allowed to digitally mix them and give the mix away online? I want to do it purely for fun, I have no plans to make any money from it. Do I need to ask for the producer's permission or anything like that?

Thanks.
simms327
define: give them away online...

if you share it via a P2P or bittorent then its definatly illeagal..

but if you use it as a demo to try to get a gig, then its not so bad

basically giving away music for free to anybody is illeagal.
IcyLogik
I would probably post it here or a couple of other forums. Not on P2P. It would not be a demo, I have no plans to go pro. Just for fun.
alefort
Simply add this whenever you post a mix online: Mix is to be used strictly for promotional use.

And in regards to Simms' post, you can share your mixes in any medium. Be it on a website or on a P2P network.....just do not share the individual tracks.
IcyLogik
Thanks guys.

Can I post tracklists / cuesheets?
sr126
what makes you think you can't?

posting tracks lists is promotion for the artists whos music you play.

some likes a song you played, they can see what it is, and go get them selves a copy. -> more money for artist = good.

the only bad thing about posting track lists, is that sometimes people just look at your list and decide whether they will like the music, or if you're any good as a dj w/out even listening to your mix.

it sucks for people to trash you based on your setlist. some times it's warrented if you truley have bad taste, or that it's obvious to people who know your music that the songs don't go together... but it still happens a lot.

but it's also selfish, to not share setlists. 'cause artists need to make some money if they are gonna be motivated to keep producing.

a label/artist can't last long if they press 1000 copies, but only sell 6 records 'cause no one is willing to help expose them. it sucks to look at a corner of room in your apartment/house or storage facility dedictated to stacks of boxes of unsold vinyl.
IcyLogik
Alright. Working on a good prog house/trance mix right now. Ill post it when done :p
Zild
Any DJ who doesn't post their tracklist is a jerk because the producers deserve most of the respect and recognition. So yea posting a tracklist is good. Also as long as you aren't selling your demo/promo mixes there isn't much of a problem although giving away music technically isn't legal.
IntegraR0064
It technically is illegal. Most labels won't hunt you down though.

The one thing I HAVE seen is when a DJ posts a set that includes a track that is not released yet (that they downloaded illegally somehow), I have seen a couple cases where a record label has gotten very pissed and demanded they take down all their mixes, etc.

As long as you buy all your tracks, you'll probably be fine
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement