return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Just some food for thought.
View this Thread in Original format
eXo
How stupid is it that we're born into this world, and unable to decide anything for ourselves.

Ok, probably some things, but what I'm getting at is your name.

I happen to like my name, and I'm sure other people like their names, but what about those poor bastards with hippy parents that name their kids some off the wall ?

I think for the first 17 years of your life, you should just be called by your last name, then when you turn 18, you get to choose your name.

That would be quite odd wouldn't it?
Floorfiller
on a similar note...there is a good video i watched that mentions something like this on the topic of religion. i mean most people aren't given a choice...they are either born jewish or christian or whatever...if they later change, well it's possible, but it is definitely something that is imposed on people...
eXo
Do you happen to remember what video that was, and if it was on the internet?
Lira
hmm.... I'm known by my last name :p

Personally, I think I do have a quite long name that is rather unnecessary (I rarely ever use my 2nd and 4th names)... but I keep the 2nd one because of aesthetics and my last one because my father would be heartbroken if I decided to drop his surname.
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller
on a similar note...there is a good video i watched that mentions something like this on the topic of religion. i mean most people aren't given a choice...they are either born jewish or christian or whatever...if they later change, well it's possible, but it is definitely something that is imposed on people...

The Root of All Evil?
quote:
Originally posted by eXo
Do you happen to remember what video that was, and if it was on the internet?

If it's "The Root of All Evil", by Richard Dawkins, I posted the video in the Political Debate Forum ;)
jdat
people call me Jdat.

It combines my first and second name as well as my last name.

Pretty clever uh? :p
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by jdat
It combines my first and second name as well as my last name.

Your name really is Jay Van Dat? :p
pvdAngel
I'm happy to stick with the name I have. I know my first name means 'oath to/from God' in Hebrew, but that doesn't mean I should be Jewish or anything. I'll probably change it like most women when getting married but my future husband's surname would have to be long as my name is short (Lisa).
stren
i am lucky cause my name kicks ass

- BAR - TECH :D
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by pvdAngel
my future husband's surname would have to be long

You know what they say about men with long surnames, don't you?

It's always misspelt :p
pvdAngel
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
You know what they say about men with long surnames, don't you?

It's always misspelt :p

Hehee! Is it on the line as "You know what they say about men with big feet? They wear big shoes."? :p

Sometimes I find it hard to avoid cliches. :toothless

Floorfiller
yep right on lira :p. it was the root of evil. a friend sent me that video a while ago and it was pretty interesting...both parts. he made some really great points i thought. and it was pretty telling about religion and how it has become what it is...
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller
yep right on lira :p. it was the root of evil. a friend sent me that video a while ago and it was pretty interesting...both parts. he made some really great points i thought. and it was pretty telling about religion and how it has become what it is...

I liked it too, and actually used it in a presentation on Japanese Literature (I chose to talk about the Japanese Bible). Here's a thread we had on the Political Forum about it:

The Root of All Evil? (religion)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement