return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

July Pulse Column + Featured Artist (Joel Mull)
View this Thread in Original format
Kate Manus
I have started a featured artist section for my techno column PULSE on edmm.ca, This month my featured artist is swedish techno legend, Joel Mull.

Pulse – Featured Artist: Joel Mull (Sweden)

When I first heard that Joel Mull was going to be touring the U.S. this summer, my initial reaction was to attempt to include Montreal as one of his stops. Though his tour would last over 3 weeks, there were very limited dates available as he already was going to be playing close to 10 gigs in 7 U.S. cities, coast to coast. His last U.S. tour was in the fall of 2001, so I was fully aware this was a rare North American appearance. I made plans to see him at a Robots party (www.wearerobots.net) in New York City on July 7.

The party was being held in the basement of Café Deville. I had arrived just as the club was opening and Nick AC was playing some mellow warm-up beats. I didn’t realize it at the time but Nick is one of Chris Liebing’s residents for his new night in Ibiza this season, this was also going to be one of his last Robots parties as he is moving back to England.

Around 11:30 p.m. the club was still gradually filling up and as I turned around at the bar I saw Joel walk in with his U.S. agent & Railyard label owners, Sean Degary and Matt Xavier. Joel was a bit taller than I had expected, but otherwise looked much like the pictures I have seen over the years. We chatted for a bit and as it turns out he knew who I was from a mutual friend in Europe and also realized I had been trying to get him booked recently in Canada.

Joel started his set around 1 to an adoring crowd; many friendly faces dancing throughout his 3 hour set and appearances by some of New York’s techno fraternity including Alexi Delano and Victor Mizo.

Even though he has made countless quality, memorable productions over the years, don’t expect to hear any of them if you have a chance to see him perform; once he releases a track he prefers to focus on new material and leave it to his peers to champion his sound. Joel Mull truly is the Quiet Achiever! .....

click here to read interview + Pulse column

I hope to see him back in Canada soon :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement