return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Track Selection !
View this Thread in Original format
Jaychatow
Hi All !

Ive been trying to create a mix now for an age but im having serious difficulties with track selection. The method im using is im finding a starter then trying to mix multiple different tracks into that track and when happy, doing the same again ! but obviously this is very time consuming and VERY repetative and in most cases i find im bored with the mix half way in and start again :(

Im thinking i might be best to not think as much and just ill at will !

So if anyone has any advice i would be very greatfull !!!

Thanks Jay
Jeremy H
:conf:

I didnt really understand the method you are using, but it seemed like you're using some kind of trial and error? :conf:

The most important thing is that you should know your tracks really well.. and then you should maybe have an idea of "where" you are going with your mix.. the rest comes naturally with practice :)
Jaychatow
Basically it is a trial and error method in which i try several different mixes with each track to try and find a good sounding progression. I do know all my tunes very well but as you know certain tunes whilst being in the same genre can be very different, and i dont really want to have a sounding transfer or an elevator mix !

Thanks for your reply.....Jay
blacknoizybox
im having the same trouble atm
ive mastered beatmatching but now i need to polish my transitions. i think some tracks just dont mix into others no matter what you do. and some tracks are just made for each other (ex. Estuera - Flow and Fable - Nightshift) imo
skip
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...threadid=125634
;)
Jeremy H
EQing is the key.. but you may want to read up on "Harmonic mixing" (mixing in key) too!
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...threadid=125634

EDIT: Too late! :p
TazZ-erT
I dont really prepare for recording mixes or playing out, I just seem to know how to get a mix to flow. Duno how I do it but I just do lol
pkcRAISTLIN
yeah, learn to mix harmonically and that will give you a guide of what will go well with what.
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by Jaychatow
I do know all my tunes very well but as you know certain tunes whilst being in the same genre can be very different

Then you don't know your tracks.

Knowing your tracks isn't knowing what genre they are. If you did know your tracks really well you wouldn't be having this problem as in your head you should automatically know what goes with what.

It comes with practice and listening. And stop overthinking too, go with gut instinct and feeling with a general idea of what you want to do with the mix.
DjWoody
When I make mixes, the first thing I think about is what kind of mix do I wanna do. Do I wanna take them on a journey where I build up on each track? Do I wanna make a banging set? I also don't specifically focus on any particular tracks. Yes, I have an idea of what I wanna do on the mix, but its not ever set on stone.

The mood Im at the moment has a lot to do with the mix too. Usually I like to start housey or electroish, then end with trance. But there's even been times when I throw in some Depeche Mode in my mix.

I do the same thing when mixing live. I never have a playlist set on stone. That gets boring pretty quick. If I get bored while mixing, my set is gonna suck! And it will show too. If it's a live set, it's even worse, because if you preprogram your set, the crowd might not react the way you think they would. When that happens, you'll get lost trying to transition into anything else.

Like the others said, don't over think your set. Just be brave and do it! When you're done, put it away for 2 or 3 days, then listen to it. DON'T LISTEN TO IT RIGHT AWAY. You'll get bored of the mix quick and won't notice your mistakes as much as if you listened to it later.

Clinkz913
That's pretty good advice Woody.

THANKS!:cool:
Spirit5
Though I haven't mixed lately because i've been busy, when I do mix I try to look for tracks that sound similar and just seem to work together. I used to be very trial and error with my mixing, but now I study my tracks more, look at readouts and listen to the same tracks over and over. While listening to many different tracks, I piece together in my mind what tracks seem to work together and how I want to structure my set before hand. Sometimes I mess up in the middle of the mix by going in a direction I didn't want, and then it ruins it for me...I have to start over. To me having a large collection of files helps, some may say it's really quality vs. quantity. I do look for quality tracks, but I also download filler, stuff that can work in a trasitional way. So I feel by having more files, I have more to play with, hence why it's so nice having CDJs vs. Vinyl, it's just cheaper for files and I can listen to them in my car without having to rip every vinyl I get.

When I mix, I look for a theme. I might put a few vocal tracks together, or play a vocal then an instrumental then another vocal tune later on. Or I might start off really slow and work my way up, or start off really fast and gradually wind down. I kind of picture it as a wave, or better yet a journey or a book. I like to mix to tell a story, and put myself more as an author mixing music rather than just a DJ making people dance. So I structure tracks around this concept, and this is what i'm going to do as I get better and possibly get some gigs, like in lounges. I'm not really looking to get into the club scene....i'm actually in the long run looking to play ethereal, melodic downtempo music and ambient music, not really "dance" music per say, but probably some progressive mixed in.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement