return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

facing a computer disaster....
View this Thread in Original format
Tranex02
hey guys....
well.....
i havn't been able to get on my computer for over a week...
so i can rarely check my email and drop by on TA...

i'm facing major probelms with my computer...last week..i uninstalled GoZilla....
The stupid program deleted some shared file from the system, and now it won't run windows....and won't even recognize my hard drive...
i'm considering a few options with a slim chance of success....
if it doesn't work....i'm gonna have to re-install windows and 'restore' everything back.....in return....loosing all my files..:(
i have most of it backed up....except some 400 mp3's ....and some IMPORTANT files!!!
i wish i had backed those up!:mad:
so ...if you don't see me reply within the next 2 days...that should be an indication that i'm still screwed.....
it's more complicated than you think....
if your an expert or think you can really help...
i'll PM you the exact details.....once i get a chance...

other than that....nothing new going on....i just missed being on TA... and i probably missed alot of stuff.

just thought i'd keep you guys in the picture.....
Juricimo
any chance you can reinstall only the files it deleted?

sorry to hear that. i recently re-formated one of my HD and lost some valuable files that i forgot to transfer to the other HD.

>JM<
QuickStep
What version of Windows are you runnig?

There has to be a recovery disk for your OS. Even lame ass ME has a recovery disk. Wait.....you have to make one first.:whip:

Good Luck and let us know

PAyce
jonsimmonds
Ive got ME, and I had a similar problem, some prog deleting shared files, I just re-installed ME over the current instalation, and it left all my over prog's and mp3's on my hard disk, so you may be able to do the same, but my copy of ME is a upgrade, not the full version, dont know if it would work with the full version.

Jon
DJ RozzeR
gutted , its happened to all of us mate , it now takes me 4 minutes to do a full FORMAT AND INSTALL WINDOWS , as i have everything backed up,, i suggest putting your MP3's on A cd as DATA therefore you will always have them.
nrjizer
If you have another computer, try putting your HD in it as a slave (MAKE SURE to set the HD jumpers to slave!)

See if you cant access it, and get some of your files. Its likely your HD just decided to die. It happens after a while.

A bit of advice: keep your computer on as long as possable without totally powering down. Jolting the HD awake each time you turn your computer on will slowly wear it down. It will last much longer the less you turn it on/off (like a lightbulb).
Tranex02
thanks guys.....well...here's what i'm thinking of...

1st...i recently bought a new HD... so i have files on both drives that needed backing -up...so ....here are a few options...which do you think is better...?

i was thinking of buying another small hard drive...and using that to 'copy' the older hard drive to it, so that then i can do a 'full restore'

or
do a full restore on the new one....
or
something else....basically....i have to find a way to keep my old files...and get the computer running....
what do you think i should do? any other suggestions..?
Tranex02
ok...i finally got things sorted out....
now i'm not worried about loosing any files...
i bought a new HD and transfered the C: to it....
then i did a full restore....
after backing up all my files....i plan on returning the new HD..

but here's my problem now....
i can't stand to look at my desktop....it's soo old and it would take to loong to intall all my previous stuff and fix the configurations.....so what i want to do ....is restore what i had copied back into the C: but with the files that were previously deleted....
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement