return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Going to college... (short version at bottom)
View this Thread in Original format
Akridrot
...right now would probably be a bad decision on my part. At least this is what I was thinking until today. One of my friends just contacted me and told me about how crazy it was. I've been told by some: " the classes, it's not about that.. it's about independendence." People in my life REALLY want me to go, and it's pissing me off. I don't want to go right now, but I haven't told anyone.

See, I am interested in programming and math. I'm not good with the words, but I get the numbers. I'd like to learn what I can on my own (not everything), then go to college when I'm good and ready.

At 18 years, what i'm going to do is:
Get my driver's
Get a Job for a while
Improve and brush up on certain things in my free time
Straighten out various issues in my life, instead of just leaving it all behind like a sucker.

THEN go to college. My mother thinks that all kids should go straight to college as soon as they finish high school. I think that is bull, and would actually be counterproductive for me. I do not want to ing take remedial courses, I want to go to college strictly for the CREDENTIALS (when I need them). Maybe I'll go for some extra things, but I do not feel like I'd do good if I went now.

Is this a bad idea or not? Because I'm struggling to come to a conclusion.

SHORT VERSION:
What's wrong with learning things in my leisure, while having a job.. then going to college for the degree so I can get a better job later?
CONNERMAN2000
I asked a similar question in the cor about a year ago. Actually I think I asked whether or not I should go to college at all, but either way, all I have to say is that its up to you. If you arent going to try hard in your classes, there's no point in going to college yet, since you'll only end up ing yourself.

See, the problem with this plan is that a lot of people end up doing absolutely nothing with the time they have off. Basically a lot of the people who I know that did what you wanna do ended up getting ty jobs, worked only a couple days a week, and spent the rest of the week drinking beer and doing nothing. Anyone can agree that doing exactly that would be in awesome, but this is not the time in your life that you should be lazy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you really believe that you would actually use this year off to benefit yourself, then go for it. Just make sure you actually make use of that time.
luisjb82
Nothing wrong with that, but once you get used to working and what not, earning good dough and all that, you will lose that habit of studying...

However, don't be fooled that just because you think you're good with numbers it will mean you're gonna love working as a computer scientist for instance.. You should seek for counceling first as to what sort of things you'll be doing if you choose a certain career. If that's exactly what you want to learn by working first and then going to college later, go ahead, but don't take too long making up your mind because it's hard to recover the habits of studying and reading... I know so because I earned my degree almost 3 years ago and it's been a real pain to regain that energy and desire to study so I can pursue the masters program...

Believe me, lots of people say college is the best time of our lifes, but when you're earning lots of money and don't have to worry about exams or studying, and you can do pretty much whatever you want, you'll understand my point as to why college isn't exactly the best time but actually what comes after college...
Orbax
College is like really expensive rehab. Except people are happy you go and you usually pick up a plethora of bad habits.

If you know what you want to do, experience is worth more than education.
Akridrot
quote:
Originally posted by josh4
This topic comes up every once in a while so you should do a search to find the other threads, plenty of advice & experience has been given on it.

Will do. However I will leave this thread open for anyone who cares to reply.

Thanks for the advice guys.
DJ Mikey Mike
Whatever one keeps you from coming on here the most.
Psy-T
quote:
Originally posted by Akridrot
What's wrong with learning things in my leisure, while having a job.. then going to college for the degree so I can get a better job later?

the system is what's wrong with it... in a world where it's not what you know, but what some guy says (via a degree) you know...
Allied Nations
1 day of college down.

Seems like a good time so far.

Come for frosh week, then drop all ur classes before the deadline so u dont have to pay.

It'd be a great time :p
enferno
you could do the same thing that nou did. . . fail at life?
Allied Nations
quote:
Originally posted by enferno
you could do the same thing that nou did. . . fail at life?

and then say everyone else fails for not failing.

MLB
quote:
Originally posted by Akridrot
...right now would probably be a bad decision on my part. At least this is what I was thinking until today. One of my friends just contacted me and told me about how crazy it was. I've been told by some: " the classes, it's not about that.. it's about independendence." People in my life REALLY want me to go, and it's pissing me off. I don't want to go right now, but I haven't told anyone.

See, I am interested in programming and math. I'm not good with the words, but I get the numbers. I'd like to learn what I can on my own (not everything), then go to college when I'm good and ready.

At 18 years, what i'm going to do is:
Get my driver's
Get a Job for a while
Straighten out various issues in my life, instead of just leaving it all behind like a sucker.

THEN go to college. My mother thinks that all kids should go straight to college as soon as they finish high school. I think that is bull, and would actually be counterproductive for me. I do not want to ing take remedial courses, I want to go to college strictly for the CREDENTIALS (when I need them). Maybe I'll go for some extra things, but I do not feel like I'd do good if I went now.

Is this a bad idea or not? Because I'm struggling to come to a conclusion.

SHORT VERSION:

honestly there is no easy way out, and a education will help you get there faster and a better chance than none!

I currently work and study, i still make time for learning and even partying. just about getting your priorties straight and scheduling yourself.

After working 7 yrs in 3 diffrent corporations, i can tell you that a education is TOTALLY WORTH IT!
occrider
It depends what kind of job you have now and how marketable that job is after college when you're looking for the job you want. If it sells than great. If not than it's worthless. FFS why would you put on your resume your experience at the "Thompson Boat Center" and how is that applicable in any way to a position you're seeking as an analyst even though it has no relation to your degree in Finance (not directed at you, but you get the idea)?

Why can't you:

Get my driver's
and
and

while you're in college? I mean come on now, 50% of college is coming up with new and innovative ways to drink alcohol. What's important is that college sells while doing some random bs job usually does not. If you've got a better long run idea than college than go for it, but it sounds like you're just confused, in which case I would defer to a safe bet.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement