return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

An Epic Question About Techno and It's "Flow"
View this Thread in Original format
Raveaddict19
Sooo I've searched the net like mad for an answer to this...

I've been getting REALLY into techno of all kinds but in particular I would say minimal and glitch stuff like Richie Hawtin, Audion, of Spectral Sound and all that...you get the idea. Also have been into harder styles for a while like Ben Sims, DJ Rush, Glenn Wilson etc.

When mixing\listening to a set...how does one really go "wow this is a great set?" Especially with something as cold and percussive as hard techno!?! Isnt it simply the DJ throwing basically big drum loops over eachother to create mad n crazy beats???

Basically what it gets down to is what makes a great minimal cd great and what makes say a DJ Rush set have such "good flow"? I can see it fine in a house set with peaks and valleys, but a set thats almost all bangin or all drippy glitch is hard to differ from itself...does anyone else see what I mean?

I know what I like and what I dont, but when I think about it, other than track selection I dont know why say an Audion CD is so much better than something lesser!!!

Discuss

(yes this was posted in the music discussion forum, but I feel it fits right in here as well)
superglo
quote:
Originally posted by Raveaddict19
the DJ throwing basically big drum loops over eachother to create mad n crazy beats and peaks and valleys

rearranged and fixed.
KilldaDJ
well my experience with techno or anything close to it would be pvd - live @ colombiahalle 2002

now thats a filthy set.
sleepydragon
well for a start i think techno is much harder to mix than other types of edm still not hard though if u can mix u can mix end of and i think u can create much more exciting sets with techno its designed to be ed around with
Abhay
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
well my experience with techno or anything close to it would be pvd - live @ colombiahalle 2002

now thats a filthy set.

Huh...

where did he play techno in that set?

was it towards the end?

that bit was cool.
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by Abhay
Huh...

where did he play techno in that set?

was it towards the end?

that bit was cool.

yeah in the second half, it was laced with some trancey stuff too but for the majority of it, it was FKN banging
Trogdor
Techno, at least minimal, sets don't really have a flow, per se, as in peaks and valleys. Moreso than any other genre, it's non-stop pummeling beats. A "good" set, would typically have three-turntable mixing, and lots of tricks (punching songs in and out, sampling, looping). Track selection, as always (especially when three-deck mixing), is key.
jahnlay
Techno has nothing to do with how much or indeed, how little you play. Only how it makes you feel, how it makes you dance and how it makes everyone around you feel and dance.

Techno was created by men and women who were sick and tired of working on assembly lines in car factories in Detroit, who decided to take back the control of their lives from the machines of their work. Techno isn't about banging or hard or soft, it's about machines making music, controlled by humans.

So get out your machines and manipulate them, you might experience something good, even fantastic or amazing.
iammesol
Every globally recognized DJ has flow. You may not be feeling it right now... but trust me, it's there.
wizniz
lol "epic question"

jahnlay
Yea, Techno definitely has flow, all dance music has flow, that's what it's designed for.
wizniz
quote:
Originally posted by jahnlay
Yea, Techno definitely has flow, all dance music has flow, that's what it's designed for.

and on that note, almost all music in general has flow lol
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement