return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Help with Xone 62
View this Thread in Original format
Pete K
I’ve got a Halloween gig coming up; the club has a Xone 62. I’ve played on that mixer once and not for more then 30 minutes. I usually play on 500/600s or Rane Mojo mixers. Can anyone give me any tips that can help me transition from what I’m playing on now to a 62? What are the big differences that I need to look out for? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chris Allen
4 band EQ
Teeny little volume monitoring
No mix/cue like with xone92

Personally I can't stand this mixer. I don't like the upfaders, I don't like the EQ knobs, the volume monitoring, and I really dont' like the sound.
DJ RJT
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Allen
I don't like the upfaders, I don't like the EQ knobs, the volume monitoring, and I really dont' like the sound.

So you prefer cheap feeling equipment then, huh?

The volume monitoring I can understand, but the sound is markedly better than a lot of what's out there right now, the upfaders are probably my favorite thing about it (They're miles above the 92's), and how you can say the EQ knobs feel like anything less than terrific astounds me... :conf:
Pete K
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Allen

No mix/cue like with xone92

Personally I can't stand this mixer. I don't like the upfaders, I don't like the EQ knobs, the volume monitoring, and I really dont' like the sound.

This doesn't really bother me too much. What about eq in the headphones?
Stu Cox
My advice would be, firstly: http://www.xone.co.uk/downloads/xone62ug_ap4145_4.pdf
and
http://www.xone.co.uk/images/Hi-Rez...front_hires.jpg

Have a read and a good look at the picture. I don't mean that in a "stfu n00b rftm" kinda way, but if you're not used to a certain mixer and your next chance to use it is going to be in front of a crowd, it really helps (particularly with a Xoen 62 more than about any other mixer) to plough through the manual, see what you can and can't do and get a feel for how it's laid out.

Secondly, the filters confuse a lot of people who aren't used to them. I recommend either reading that bit of the manual very carefully or doing the following: if you see a blue light, press the little black button next to it.
If the filters are off, the chances of plunging the club into silence by accident and not being able to work out why are greatly reduced.

Things about the Xone 62 to be careful of:

- There is no cue mix system. A channel is either cued or it isn't cued. There is a way around this, but if you're not used to the mixer I'm not going to go into it now.

- The faders all have lags and the crossfader doesn't have a sharp curve setting, so cutting and scratching are a no-go.

- The crossfader has 2 curve settings - gradual dipped and gradual non-dipped. If you just use the channel faders and you put the crossfader in the middle, the volume of whatever you're playing will drop. To avoid this, with the crossfader at one side or the other, make sure the curve button (little square push switch to the left of the crossfader) is pressed down.

- It's very easy to knock the crossfade assign buttons while moving the faders. Make sure you know what the green/yellow LEDs next to each fader mean and how to assign each channel to the correct side of the crossfader, or otherwise the safest thing to do is turn off the crossfader using the square buttons half way up each fader - you'll know when a channel is no longer assigned to the crossfader when neither a green or yellow light shows next to that channel.

The Xone62's a decent mixer, definitely not designed for a fast DJ though - the faders are shaped and have contours suitable for accurate movements, not quick cuts etc. The filters sound awesome if you know how to use them (a lot of people don't know there are actually 6 different filter settings - not just the 3 you see at first glance) but try not to over use them!

As I say, there is a way to give you cue mix functionality but you need to be pretty used to the mixer to use it easily and find it useful - although when a Xone 62 is set up like that I love it: I'd much rather control my cue section like that than with a normal cue mix knob.
Pete K
Great advice...thanks mate..I'll definitely start reading the manual.
idoru
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
My advice would be, firstly: http://www.xone.co.uk/downloads/xone62ug_ap4145_4.pdf
and
http://www.xone.co.uk/images/Hi-Rez...front_hires.jpg

Have a read and a good look at the picture. I don't mean that in a "stfu n00b rftm" kinda way, but if you're not used to a certain mixer and your next chance to use it is going to be in front of a crowd, it really helps (particularly with a Xoen 62 more than about any other mixer) to plough through the manual, see what you can and can't do and get a feel for how it's laid out.

Secondly, the filters confuse a lot of people who aren't used to them. I recommend either reading that bit of the manual very carefully or doing the following: if you see a blue light, press the little black button next to it.
If the filters are off, the chances of plunging the club into silence by accident and not being able to work out why are greatly reduced.

Things about the Xone 62 to be careful of:

- There is no cue mix system. A channel is either cued or it isn't cued. There is a way around this, but if you're not used to the mixer I'm not going to go into it now.

- The faders all have lags and the crossfader doesn't have a sharp curve setting, so cutting and scratching are a no-go.

- The crossfader has 2 curve settings - gradual dipped and gradual non-dipped. If you just use the channel faders and you put the crossfader in the middle, the volume of whatever you're playing will drop. To avoid this, with the crossfader at one side or the other, make sure the curve button (little square push switch to the left of the crossfader) is pressed down.

- It's very easy to knock the crossfade assign buttons while moving the faders. Make sure you know what the green/yellow LEDs next to each fader mean and how to assign each channel to the correct side of the crossfader, or otherwise the safest thing to do is turn off the crossfader using the square buttons half way up each fader - you'll know when a channel is no longer assigned to the crossfader when neither a green or yellow light shows next to that channel.

The Xone62's a decent mixer, definitely not designed for a fast DJ though - the faders are shaped and have contours suitable for accurate movements, not quick cuts etc. The filters sound awesome if you know how to use them (a lot of people don't know there are actually 6 different filter settings - not just the 3 you see at first glance) but try not to over use them!

As I say, there is a way to give you cue mix functionality but you need to be pretty used to the mixer to use it easily and find it useful - although when a Xone 62 is set up like that I love it: I'd much rather control my cue section like that than with a normal cue mix knob.

A+
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by idoru
A+

Haha :p
calex
quote:

so are you saying that u can't listen to both tracks at once in your headphones?...ie simultaneously in both ears...

calex
<tuss>
you can hear both tracks, just cant eq.

Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by calex
so are you saying that u can't listen to both tracks at once in your headphones?...ie simultaneously in both ears...

calex

You can listen to as many channels as you like at once, you just can't adjust the levels of each (so you can't fade the volume between cue & master for example as you can with a lot of mixers).
calex
ahh, i gotcha...thanks for the clairification...

calex
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement