return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
rp5 speaker hookup problems...picking up AM RADIO!!!!
View this Thread in Original format
xstalkrx
So I just got the SELF POWERED KRK RP5's. I connected them to my main out rca holes on my mixer. Everything works great at this point, speakers are beautiful, NO FEEDBACK.

When I decide I am ready to record I take an rca cord from my RECORD OUT on the back of my mixer, use a RCA -> 1/8 inch adaptor, and plug that 1/8 inch adaptor into the back of my sound card. As soon as I do this, BUZZZZZZ MAJOR LOUD feedback.

Now, I have recorded on this computer many times before using speakers that required an amp. While using these old speakers that require amp usage, I would get NO feedback while recording.

I also tried using my buddies computer and his sound card...and the feedback issue still persists.

What is the problem?
Allen Mueller
going to the balanced input of the speaker will only help if your mixer has a balanced output. Ground loops can cause the problem you are describing. Are your speakers and amp plugged into the same outlet? If they arn't try getting eveything plugged into the same power source.

Did your setup work fine befor this or is this the first time hooking everything together?
xstalkrx
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Mueller
going to the balanced input of the speaker will only help if your mixer has a balanced output. Ground loops can cause the problem you are describing. Are your speakers and amp plugged into the same outlet? If they arn't try getting eveything plugged into the same power source.

Did your setup work fine befor this or is this the first time hooking everything together?

There is no amp. My speakers are self powered.

The only time I get feedback is when I connect my computer to my mixer. The reason I connect my computer to my mixer is so that I can record my mixes.

Now...if I disconnect my computer from my mixer...then the feedback stops and I can mix with my new speakers and everything is just great. BUT..since my computer is disconnected..then I cant record my mixes...which means....I'm pissed.
SPAWNmaster
buy a ground loop isolator from radioshack to plug into your computer...
xstalkrx
quote:
Originally posted by SPAWNmaster
buy a ground loop isolator from radioshack to plug into your computer...

forgive my nubness..but..where exactly would it plug in.
SPAWNmaster
ive never had to use one but from what i understand it plugs between the audio cables running through your interface/soundcard/recordjack. anyone else have any details?
Allen Mueller
Ok makes more sense now. I have the same problem in my setup, not as bad but I get a slight hum when my computer is hooked into my mixer. I solved the hum problem with the ground loop isolator from Radio Shack. Odd thing is I also use Serato but have no issues with that connection. The isolator from radio shack should solve your problems. It uses a transformer to isolate the signal.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...rentPage=search

Allen
xstalkrx
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Mueller
Ok makes more sense now. I have the same problem in my setup, not as bad but I get a slight hum when my computer is hooked into my mixer. I solved the hum problem with the ground loop isolator from Radio Shack. Odd thing is I also use Serato but have no issues with that connection. The isolator from radio shack should solve your problems. It uses a transformer to isolate the signal.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...rentPage=search

Allen

what sound card do you have? I think to solve my problems I need a sound card that has a red/white rca input.

garrrr...this is so frustrating. The rpk5's sound so good...but if I try to record I get the gay feedback!!!!
Psychotron
quote:
Originally posted by xstalkrx
what sound card do you have? I think to solve my problems I need a sound card that has a red/white rca input.

garrrr...this is so frustrating. The rpk5's sound so good...but if I try to record I get the gay feedback!!!!

YOu obviously already have an adapter for the RCA -> 1/8" jack, if you dont then thats what you need, no sound cards are RCA input.
xstalkrx
quote:
Originally posted by Psychotron
YOu obviously already have an adapter for the RCA -> 1/8" jack, if you dont then thats what you need, no sound cards are RCA input.

........... yes, there are plenty of sound cards out there with rca inputs. And yes I have that rca -> 1/8 inch jack...but i get FEEDBACK. The second I disconnect my computer from my mixer, by REMOVING the 1/8 inch jack from the computer...then I can play on my CDJ's with my new monitors just fine without any feedback. But as soon as I want to record, I try putting that 1/8 inch jack into my computer and BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz loud as HELL.

DjWoody
Have you tried recording without the speakers plugged in? Try it, then you can find out for sure if it's the new speakers, your mixer, or your sound card. But it does sound like it could be a ground loop problem.
xstalkrx
quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
Have you tried recording without the speakers plugged in? Try it, then you can find out for sure if it's the new speakers, your mixer, or your sound card. But it does sound like it could be a ground loop problem.

Yes I can record just fine if I dont have the speakers connected to my mixer....or if I use speakers that require an external amp.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement