return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
mixing mp3
View this Thread in Original format
marshall
ok heres the situation.
where I have moved to at the moment I have no room to set my decks up.AND IT IS KILLING ME.so I have been looking into a few options.I just want something that I can usb into my laptop and mix my mp3's.I have seen the hercules and behringer mp3 controllers read reviews and got mixed signals,then I was talking to someone in soundcontrol today and he said to stay away as they are cheap and tacky,he said I could get the m-audio trigger finger and mix on their.is this possible,does anyone have one?? if not is their something for me??
nchs09
ableton?
marshall
Yeah ableton.Why what do you know?:whip:
Rebel Brown
I've been doing a fair bit of reading up on controllers for Ableton, the Behringers seem to actually be good for the money.

Click me for some more info on some of your options.
Zild
I make killer mixes in Ableton using only a mouse.
spolitta
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I make killer mixes in Ableton using only a mouse.

But you must have an external mixer, otherwise I don’t believe you.

When using a mouse you can only control one parameter at once, which is very limited, not very musical either. You performance will suffer because of it.
Zild
quote:
Originally posted by spolitta
But you must have an external mixer, otherwise I don’t believe you.

When using a mouse you can only control one parameter at once, which is very limited, not very musical either. You performance will suffer because of it.

No external mixer just the mouse. I do it all the time when I'm at home messing around on the computer. They're actually some of the best mixes I've done. Just giving the guy the idea that he can start doing mixes right now with just his mouse.

Like I said before the mixes I make with my mouse are actually very good. I don't care if you believe me or not.
DjWoody
PVD was using the mouse only for quite a while. He now uses the Xone 3D & a Trigger Finger.
LugNutX
My personal recommendation is the BCD2000, and the DJ application of your choice. Each one is going to have pluses and minuses, depending on what you are trying to do.

Ableton is an awesome tool, but as many people have pointed out on this board, it is more geared toward production (both studio and live) than DJing. It's also the most expensive software package of these I've listed.

Traktor is definitely aimed at this crowd, but depending on your computer setup, it can be a HUGE system resource hog (this can be true of Ableton as well). The new version has support for 4 virtual decks, mixer emulation and some decent (but basic) effects.

It takes a little elbow grease to get the BCD2000 working with Trakor and Ableton.

VirtualDJ is less polished, but is very customizable. If you check out their website, you'll notice a ton of user-created effects, filters and addons. The newest version supposedly supports the BCD2000 natively. One downside is that its almost $100 more than Traktor. :eyespop:

B-DJ is the application that comes with the controller. This application is created by Xylio, the same people that make FutureDecks. The benefit of this program is that it was designed SPECIFICALLY for this controller. It is not as fully featured as the others, but does have "decent" beat detection, some basic effects and is skinnable. Best part is that its FREE. The developers closely monitor the forums for suggestions for the next update.

There are a bazillion more programs out there, but those are 4 that I would take a look at in conjunction with the Behringer controller. The quality on this piece of hardware is quite a bit better than some of the trash mixers I have played on. It hasn't really been out long enough (at least not in the States) to do a long-term test, but I haven not heard of any major problems.

My best suggestion is to try a demo of some of these applications and just pick whatever works best for you. It never hurts to take advice, but don't let the masses push a product down your throat just because "everyone's doing it". I don't post often on the forums, but I have lurked around here long enough to know that some folks can get pushy with their idea of the Holy Grail of hardware and software.

No matter what you pick, someone will always argue that you "should have gone with Product XYZ...Product ABC sucks, my friend broke 5 of those during one of his livesets, and I heard actually stopped playing his set at Ibiza, climbed a water tower and jumped because it sucked so bad". :D :stongue:
Jarvmeister
Don't use BCD2000, it sucks.

LugNutX
:haha: :D :haha:
spolitta
BCD2000 is the , and I don’t mean that in a good way. This toy has a very bad A/D converter, it freezes sometimes for a few seconds, and it feels awfully cheap. The plastic knobs feel ty and the buttons are the worst things on the mixer, on the other hand the layout is well designed and it’s very inexpensive for what it does.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement