return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Any Tips for Single-Ear Monitoring?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ HARN
Whats the best way to do it? I am quite new to this method, and I'm finding it hard to listen to the beats of both tracks and decide which one is going faster. Then also which way I have to pitch bend so that I am matching the correct 2 beats (i.e. so that I am still 'phrase matching'). Any handy advice would be good.

HARN.
ThatsMagic
Everyone finds there own way so im not sure there is a best way, but for me I like too have one speaker up on the table rather then on the floor and as far as telling which is faster put both ear pieces on your headphones and listen to each track by them selfs and you could count 1.2.3.4 or tap your foot or somthing to each beat till you get an idea which is faster.

Then do the one ear monitoring to hook it in and pitch bend, you can aways listen to both tracks in your headphones to make sure its tight.

Good thing about one ear is you can make better EQ changes to make a better mix.
DJ HARN
I would like to listen to both tracks through the headphones, but I have a 3 channel mixer, the Numark dm2050. I'm not sure if it's possible to do this or not, please help.
ThatsMagic
ok try this

turn channel one vol to 100%
on the bottom right switch it to CH2 then the knob above that "Cue mix"
put it to half way, listen in your headphones and it should work.

Cue ( | ) Master
Half ^ way
ThatsMagic
make sure cue gain is up a bit as well thats the vol on for the headphones
DJ HARN
No it didn't work but I'm starting to get the hang of the single ear thing.
Ryan0751
Definately make sure the monitor speaker is up around your ear level (that's why they are up high in clubs), and play around with the levels to try and get them somewhat equal, but don't blast the headphones in your ear either. That'll help!

Also, try switching cue ears now and then, it get you used to a different "sound", and prepare you for a reversed monitor (left/right/etc) situation.

I would also say to try and practice without using the cue/master fader, you'll suck at first but you'll be much stronger in the end.
Abhay
quote:
Originally posted by DJ HARN
Whats the best way to do it? I am quite new to this method, and I'm finding it hard to listen to the beats of both tracks and decide which one is going faster. Then also which way I have to pitch bend so that I am matching the correct 2 beats (i.e. so that I am still 'phrase matching'). Any handy advice would be good.

HARN.

Yeah,

your monitor speakers mightn't be very good.

I still have trouble using signle ear monitoring. I find it easier with music that has claps and snares, like DnB and RnB. But for trance/house i find headphone monitoring much easier.
DFOP04
monitor position makes a massive difference. ive just moved into my new house for last part of uni, set my setup up, thought all was good, untill i started to mix, completely lost it, couldnt mix at all, was so frustrated, just didnt know what the hell was going on. after a while i decideded to move my monitors. previously i had them way too close, practically just behind each deck. now they are further away, i can mix like old days.
like people have said they have to be ear level, yet not too close imo, to the side of your set up, otherwise like me the sound was too loud from the previous monitor position causing me to trainwreck every mix!!frustrating stuff, but a lesson well learnt.

dfop
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement