return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Microphone for vocals
View this Thread in Original format
LANYD
Hello people, I'm in need of a microphone for recording vocals in a bedroom studio and time to time recording some guitar lines, what should I get?

Also, I'm unaware of how to connect one up, I have a firewire audiophile soundcard, how would I do it?

Oh and ideally it should be under US$200. I'm after a bang for the buck, good enough for a clean professional recording microphone.

Thanks in advance.
Chronosis
Studio Projects B1.

You also need a phantom-power amplifier. I would suggest VTB1 by the same company.
LANYD
Thanks mate... Says all-purpose and good for vocal recordings in description... Just what I needed to hear. :)
DJFreaq
AKG 414, it sounds beautiful and you can use it for just about everything! It's worth the money.

Also consider a Shure SM7... it will give you a lot of warmth since it's a dynamic mic, as opposed to the 414 which is a condenser.

Mics depend on vocalists. Condensers are VERY bright and are lovely on people with even but "dull" voices. However people with really sharp and high pitched voices are better tailored for a dynamic microphone like the SM7.

Anyway, good luck with your mic choices. MY RECCOMENDATION TO YOU.

Don't just trust online product reviews, most of them are rigged. Try to get into a studio or go to a pro-audio store and get some hands on experience and advice.

Good luck!

---Adam Wrzeski
Chronosis
quote:
Originally posted by DJFreaq
Condensers are VERY bright

What? Many condensers have a small boost around 8kHz, but I wouldn't call that VERY bright. Don't know about that AKG 414 though. Dynamic mics aren't as sensitive, so the sound usually gets a bit darker (and also less defined).
DJFreaq
I'm generalizing.

Maybe you generally got what I was generally getting across?

Or am I generally wrong.

Sorry.

:conf:
LANYD
Thanks alot guys, I'm shortlisting all the ones mentioned in this thread and will see which one fits me best after including total with shipping/delivery etc. I should make a purchase in a week or so.
jahnlay
Don't get an sm58, it's not good for studio work, get a B1 or other similar large diaphragm condenser mic, it's much more detailed.
nytrox
quote:
Originally posted by Chronosis
Studio Projects B1.

+1

And an ART tube amp. Works great together and is both affordable!

BTW: Don't get a Behringer preamp, tey suck (very noisy)!
Derivative
SM57? Warm? Are you talking about the same mic I am? SM57 is shrill. SM58 is even more so because its the same mic with a different capsule.

Both are cheap, rugged decent mics but they are everywhere. Everyone has one.

SM58 not good for studio use? Dude, there can't be a studio in the western world that doesn't have at least 1 SM57/58.

Sure its not a Neumann U87 or a Microtech Gefell M300 but it. It costs next to nothing and it gets the job done. And it cannot. be. destroyed.

DJFreaq
The 193's pwn. I love them.
jahnlay
I meant as your main vocal mic, the sm57's and 58's are3 great for miking drums and guitars in the studio.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement