return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Producers Block.
View this Thread in Original format
jupiterone
I'm surely losing my mind here right now. Have been working on a track today and it's like I'm either over-analyzing and being too careful with it or I don't know what. All the levels seem out of place, mastering and everything is just bothering me including the surroundings. Can't really think of anything or get inspiration, it's like I have producers block if that ever existed.

Anyone ever get this? What'd you do, take a break for a little bit?
dj_kane
some people take a break from producing. that doesnt work for me i usually start something new. or ill just go on my decks for a day or two playing tracks i really like. usually gives me some ideas. i tried taking a break before but it made it worse. works for some though.
psymon.d
I know the feeling all too well....I just tend to listen to tracks that I really enjoy, and often listen to other genres, it seems to help. As well as those things I've been known to just mess around in my sequencer with different chord progressions, hoping something sparks my interest. Hope one of those methods help .:toocool:
EliPsE
i have had producers block for over a yr now lol. its actually ridiculous now. when i first started i was finishing tracks even if they were terrible, now i have better equipment and more knowledge which makes me more critical, and.... haven't made for the longest. I hate myself
DigiNut
Happens to me all the time and yes, I take a break. Sometimes for a week, two weeks, a month. It's easy for me to know when the break should end because at some point I'll feel like I have an idea that I *have* to get down.

Of course, that approach will probably net fewer tracks and more incomplete tracks than forcing oneself to finish, but I think that the quality of work is better when you're really into it and not struggling.
jupiterone
thanks fellas for the input
Enigmatic XTC
I get this problem sometimes. I have a "mild" case of it right now actually. When i get it i just keep trying things. I will take a single not and try to create a cool rhythm. Or i'll just make a long note and search for a cool sounding patch. Once i get something that i like, i can usually work from there.
TaylorR
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic XTC
I get this problem sometimes. I have a "mild" case of it right now actually. When i get it i just keep trying things. I will take a single not and try to create a cool rhythm. Or i'll just make a long note and search for a cool sounding patch. Once i get something that i like, i can usually work from there.

i do this as well. i just keep trying different things. if one thing doesn't work out then i'll just move on to something else. seems to help when i have a block....which i have right now :(
echosystm
most pro producers i know try to bust it out in one go so they dont get hooked up and anal about small things. Then they rest their ears for one day, come back and mix it.

If it takes any longer than this they trash it or come back to it after a week or two.

These are guys who have to pound out commercial stuff on demand so... i guess theres a few lessons there :D
celestialmind
Yeah dude just take a break, as long as you need as long as it's not like a 3 months break or something.
Step back for a week or so and let your ears breath a little 'cause they get tired after a while when you're listening to the same for hours. Then you normally get all stupid and don't know what's going on.

Taking a break will get you fresh again and hopefully you'll come back to it with some new ideas. Get on the decks and spin a little or listen to other tracks and look for either ideas or something that you're trying to get to with this track, listening to other tracks, especially the vinyl quality ones will give you what you need in terms of break, boost of confidence and fresh ideas. :)

DJ KING#1
finally a thread i can relate to LOL ive had numerous times with producers block and each day im not producing it feels like your loosing skill cause your so used to producing track after track that it seems impossible to stop but ultimately the brain just wants to rest and reset itself

and when your not even thinking about it or think you cant get something going BAM!!!

youve just made a new hit and therefore have broken the block so just take it as a natural process that all us producers go through
funkysouls
Alternatively, u can produce some different style for fun.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement