return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Black Friday: Holly F-u-c-k!!!!!
View this Thread in Original format
emc^2
So, naive geek in me decided to drive out early this morning to snatch a laptop deal at BestBuy for Toshiba for $379. I wake up at 3am, by 4:15am Im at the store (store opens at 5). What do I see?

WHOLE ING PARKING LOT FILLED WITH CARS, and line that would make a sold-out PvD event seem like a joke. Some of you remember the lines to see PvD in roxy - 5 wide, wrapping around the building - well, that one was tiny. There must have been at least 1500 - 2000 people in line, some who camped out since 4PM yesterday.

I turned around and left. Nothing in that store is worth sacrificing my life and limb for (at least nothing that can't be bought cheaply on ebay). Other stores like Circuit City, Toys-R-Us, Target, and even OFFICE MAX, had huge lines as well. You must be crazy to think you're getting a bargain, unless you start living in front of the store a week before the sale.

And what else can bring store more exposure? Of course, those very same dolts who camp out in front of those stores, attracting media/reporters (and free exposure, creating even bigger fervor).

While definitely pissed off about getting up so early (I never wake up so early for anything) - two things dawned on me:

1. All Americans who used to make cracks about long ass russian lines for toilet paper can just STFU and get to best buy to see what real line looks like

and

2. American economy ain't doing so bad - so many folks willing to shell their money over just to get some cheapo trinket - it warms my heart. It means people are willing to spend and our well-lubricated advertising machine is still working miracles.

happy bargain hunting, my adrenaline junkie friends!

:thepirate :thepirate :thepirate
idoru
I work tomorrow, in retail. I've spent the last two holiday seasons in retail and have dealt with some incredibly pissy, irritated people that have damn-near hit me when I've told them we're all out of a certain product. It amazes me how upset people get over the tiniest things, over trying to have the perfect holiday and make everybody happy.
emc^2
quote:
Originally posted by idoru
I work tomorrow, in retail. I've spent the last two holiday seasons in retail and have dealt with some incredibly pissy, irritated people that have damn-near hit me when I've told them we're all out of a certain product. It amazes me how upset people get over the tiniest things, over trying to have the perfect holiday and make everybody happy.

over-consumerism. I feel for you. If you got brats that don't understand the concept of supply/demand, you're a bad parent for having raised them that way. (not you, but whoever that ****** that wants "perfect" holiday). If my kid ever grows up to be a dick who throws a fit over something he wanted but didn't get - I'm taking the good'ole belt out and goin' medieval on his ass. Tho, thank goodness he knows better.
DjConfessions
for some reason, people were complimenting me when i was TRYING to be an

Store opened, people are running. whatever. A guy runs into a baby carraige, but the carraige fights back and he falls down.

The very first person at the registers comes to me with a flash drive and a bluetooth headset. Reminder that the headset is free after rebate. He takes one look at the price of the flash drive and says "no, take the flash drive off. it's too cheap" GONK

Before we opened the doors, i put in my head and memorized all the things in the ad that specifically had "1 unit per household." If a customer came up to me with one of these items and did not ask me where it was "REALLLLLLLLLLY just 1 unit per household," i'd just ring them all up, give him the 1 rebate form and then he/shed go "wait, i bought 99 blue tooth headsets, there is only 1 rebate" and then i go "o rite! its supposed to be 1 unit per household like it says in the ad." and then they go ", i dont want them then" and then i go "HAHAHHHAH CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! WAIT IN THE ING LINE HAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOL"

story from co-worker:
guy comes to him and DEMANDS he give him a non-sale wireless-n router for 4.99 because we are out of stock on the 4.99 wireless g router. The demand is followed by an index finger into his chest, then anindex finger into his forehead and then a shove. He claims his anger is justified by the fact that "me and my sick mother have been out in the cold for a half hour"

i totally ed some chinese guy out of a GPS unit. well, not on purpose. He comes up to me right when he walks in the door and says "hey, this GPS unit, sell it to me." "man it would be my dream to sell you one but i can't. i am a cashier. i'm useless!" so he starts his reasoning: "no! just ring up this SKU and then i'll find it and just walk out with it. please just sell it to me." I think to myself this guy is just asking to get ed. c'mon. it'll be fun. oooook So i ring him up, give him his receipt and he wanders off. 10 minutes later, he comes back to me saying "OMG They won't give it to me!" and i give him my most commonly used phrase for the night: "oh man, that sucks." and well, that was the end of that story

actually, maybe there is more to that story. Because if he comes back tomorrow demanding a refund, customer service is probably going to ask "HELOOO i'll give you a refund when we get our GPS unit back!"
DarkAngel
The most grueling, despicable, most dangerous time of year, the Christmas shopping season, has indeed begun.
emc^2
damn! That's funny... :haha: :tongue3 you gotta admire the nasty consumer and funny cashier situation. How very "Clerks"! I bet this would make an awesome installment in Clerks series! LOL

I think the store management is ing sick, tho. They advertise 10 of something per store ON NATIONAL TV, ON INTERNET, ON EVERY FORUM!!!! and then they wonder why remaining 99990 people file complaint with a BBB for having waited out in the cold for nothing (not even raincheck)!

sounds like deceptive business practices, formula for disaster, and perfect breeding ground for violent/criminal incidents... imho.
_Ocean_Drive_
quote:
Originally posted by emc^2
I wake up at 3am, by 4:15am Im at the store (store opens at 5). What do I see?

WHOLE ING PARKING LOT FILLED WITH CARS, and line that would make a sold-out PvD event seem like a joke.

Hate it when that happens. You think you're the only one onto something, and everyone else has done exactly the same thing :whip:

quote:
1. All Americans who used to make cracks about long ass russian lines for toilet paper can just STFU and get to best buy to see what real line looks like

:stongue:

I hate the Christmas shopping period. Consumer-whores running around with their tall, skinny, wet, de-caff Starbucks Latte's, buying their spoilt brats whatever it is, and not actually realising what Christmas is about.
LeopoldStotch
quote:

2. American economy ain't doing so bad - so many folks willing to shell their money over just to get some cheapo trinket - it warms my heart. It means people are willing to spend and our well-lubricated advertising machine is still working miracles.

indeed. when i was at best buy, there were people buying 3 to 4 large lcd screen television sets. they were the 42" and 50" screen tvs. i was like wtf!

btw, i was hoping beyond hope to get my 19" lcd samsung monitor for $129, but was sold out before i even came in the store. i even got there at 3:30 am to wait in line. oh well. at least i picked up some cheesy dvds to add to my collection, and a 250gb external hdd.
MeLLyMeL
I'd rather be shopping then working.

:whip:

I'd rather be shopping then doing anything actually.
Bidor
quote:
Originally posted by MeLLyMeL

I'd rather be shopping then doing anything actually.

thats why i stay single lol:p

Zoso
I will not be participating. I will, however, be sitting at work waiting on quitting time. :D
jdat
quote:
damn! That's funny... :haha: :tongue3 you gotta admire the nasty consumer and funny cashier situation. How very "Clerks"! I bet this would make an awesome installment in Clerks series! LOL

I think the store management is ing sick, tho. They advertise 10 of something per store ON NATIONAL TV, ON INTERNET, ON EVERY FORUM!!!! and then they wonder why remaining 99990 people file complaint with a BBB for having waited out in the cold for nothing (not even raincheck)!

sounds like deceptive business practices, formula for disaster, and perfect breeding ground for violent/criminal incidents... imho.

Well it's becoming worse and worse no doubt about that ...

but the main idea is to reel in customers who will be forced to buy larger ticket items so in the end the stores make a fortune!

I think it was in 2004 there was this deal in walmart stores for 29.99$ Apex dvd players. People fought over these things!
..... Walmart was selling the item at a lose too! :stongue: :stongue:

oh man I miss working in the electronics industry .... I used to get the major industry magazine that talked about all the new product releases etc ... and whenever black friday was coming up it was nuts reading the projections that were planned and the type of prices etc .... and then the week after black friday seeing how much profit the companies made :eyespop: :eyespop: :eyespop:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement