return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.

Gold Club Series @ The Docks Review...
View this Thread in Original format
Evmac
Well i went last night only because i had free guestlist not expecting much but was I shocked....
I heard all the dj's and It was actually good, well except Ken Jordan's set, i wasn't in the mood for breaks.

Holy AVH tore the roof off that place! I was expecting disco house but he pumped out hard house tracks one after another.. so much energy!

BAD BOY BILL.. well i saw him before in London and it was one of my favourite parties.. He is probably has the best dj skills ive ever seen. That man never stops mixing and scratching, it was insane at points!

Tall paul was pretty much heard by me in the hour long coatcheck line but it was alright... i liked the 2 previous dj's better.

The lighting and decor was the best i have ever seen at the docks.. if u were there u know what I mean. Lots of hot women.. good crowd.

9/10 i dive it.
Time2Burn
Yeah same here... Got a call at 9 pm offering me some VIP passes. And of course how could i refuse.

But I too wasn't expecting that much - i think i've reading what TA has too say too much lol - But I am really happy i went cause i was very pleasently suprised.

The first thing you notice is how nice everything is inside. These corporate sponsored events sure do a good job of putting money into decor. Plus there wasn't too many Logo's around this time. Then you see how pumped up everyone is. Everyone seems to be in a great mood.

The set up of the docks sucks the big one though. Why the hell do i have to walk though the whole club to get to coat check? I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find it... That pissed me off. Its obvious the docks is all about the summer.

So Ken Jordan.. Did not enjoy him at all. You really got to be in the mood to get down to breaks. People were just basiclly chillin when he was on. But he was the set up and people were just getting settled.

Arman Van Helden - Definetly tore up. Defiently got me moving. Some good hard yet sometimes funky house. The crowd ate him up and he defiently got everyone hyped for who it seems they all came to see....

Bad Boy Bill - Gotta love his hype intro's he sure knows how to hype up the crowd for his set.. People were going wild!! HE just tore up. Was really fun to dance to (personally been a long time since I busted it). Nice banging set. His skills do show up in the mixing, You hear so much different a "new" stuff in his selections.

SO I'm defiently glad i went. Hype night. Best time I've had in a while. A great event to get me in the party mood for WINTERGALACTIC!

8/10
torontotrance
Armand Van Helden is actually back to normal eh........good to see.
SOS2 Galvatron
Finally got the chance to post my review.

Ken Jordan's set was pretty good, but it was alittle too early to have a progressive break though. (You'll see why in a bit) The first hr of his set was kickin' but hearing non-stop nu-skool breaks for more then 1 hr, tends to bugg you and may drive you alittle crazy.(Like myself) Hybrid did the same to me when they did a LIVE PA@System last year.

Armin van Helden was indeed dissapointing. He couldn't mix for and his track selection was a big upset to many. He started out very nicely but, half way through his set ... it was done for. It got sooooo boring as he dragged on the set and the crowd looked really dead at this point. I've heard alot of bad things about his LIVE sets (Connected v3) and honestly ... I didn't want to jude him until I heard him myself. I give him credit for producing wicked tracks year after year ... but stay away from his live sets. It was such a weak set that it made me almost fall asleep.

BAD BOY BILL spun wicked set !!! (But ... I was abit dissapointed ... due to the fact that he didn't play Chicago Hard House and I still can't admit he's changed :() Well, this is my 9th time I've seen him over the periode of 2&1/2 years and he did not dissapoint the crowd at all. Started out funky, then into some disco house and at the end it was pretty much tech-house. From start to end BBB kept it HARD and BANGIN' !!! He wasn't lazy this time around and it was amazing how much effort and skill he worked that mixer. Even though the he spins now is very different ... his technical skillz were still their and made the crowd jumpin' until the final track. Smooth mixing & blending, beat juggling, manually remixing tracks and scratching like a NUTCASE !!! BBB normaly scratches alot ,but this time around, was the first time I ever saw BBB go "SCRATCH-HAPPY" ... at one point during his set ... he was scratchin' for 10 mins non-stop and didn't give any mercy to decks. I was suprised that BBB didn't play any type breaks lastnight and I was abit unhappy about that. but, needless to say ... BADBOYBILL saved the night once again and kept everyone dancing non-stop. (from the front to the back:)) Compairing this set to the Warehouse ... I would have to say the Warehouse event was by far ... much better !!! * B/C it was NON-STOP Chicago Hard House and some wicked breaks*

Tall Paul spun a pretty started out pretty good, but I had to leave and I didn't get to hear his set :( Too damn tired to stay.

Wicked vibe and alot of smiles kept the night amazing. Special thanks to my girl RS and KS&DC for coming out and partyin' hard !!! Indeed a fun night to remember :):):)
klaarwater
I am pretty much in agreeance with SOS2 on this one for the DJ's - all in all a really fun night... great company and good tunes. Woulda liked to see more of Tall Paul - but I was sleepy and had to go home.

As much as I dislike multinational thrown parties - they are really solid, and have great talent. Smokey smokey... I expected to get free smokes - like the smirnoff party where you got free drinks. That would have been hillarious! LOL

That tableism BBB was throwin down was pretty wikkid! Made my night!
Cheers
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement