return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Sound card for laptop???
View this Thread in Original format
djtrinity
any recommendations??.....primarily for recording from mixer
david.michael
Laptop, darn you.... lap top.

;)
djtrinity
fixed LOL
Zild
A decent entry level one is the M-Audio firewire.
AnomalyConcept
If you're just interested in recording to record a mix (and not for production/sampling), the line-in on your internal card (if you have one) is sufficient. Note the 'line-in' and 'microphone' jacks are not the same... not sure of the exact difference off-hand.

I just record from the line-in, and it works just fine for me, for both mix recording and broadcast.
djtrinity
quote:
Originally posted by AnomalyConcept
If you're just interested in recording to record a mix (and not for production/sampling), the line-in on your internal card (if you have one) is sufficient. Note the 'line-in' and 'microphone' jacks are not the same... not sure of the exact difference off-hand.

I just record from the line-in, and it works just fine for me, for both mix recording and broadcast.

i will have to fo a test run on that...if it sounds good then i'll just leave it....but i would think its of a lesser quality but i don't know
Mortyman
I find that the sound quality is very different when just recording through the "line in". Even just recording from an external output, my laptop definately needs a decent sound cad too, because I'm not happy with the results without a proper one... if they exist.
Jarvmeister
To be honest - most on board soundcards are crap. I can hear all sorts of pops and crackles on mine when I'm listening to headphones. The only way is to go PCI/PCI-X or PCMCIA. Or Firewire.

Jarv
Timski
Edirol UA-EX1. Basic as hell, good sound quality... Does what its told and works like a champ... Ive got one myself.
skip
quote:
Originally posted by Timski
Edirol UA-EX1. Basic as hell, good sound quality... Does what its told and works like a champ... Ive got one myself.

i got one too and i also like it. it's pretty basic though, like you said. only rca, optical and mic input, not balanced connectors (xlr or trs?!). but if you don't need those then i'd say it's a good card. at least it suits my need perfectly. :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement