return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

setting up ortofon needles
View this Thread in Original format
moondog
any tips please guys, there no instructions in the box. Do i need to adjust the overall height of the tonearm, or just the rear weight

Cheers

Rick
Trance Nutter
height of tonearm so that the tonearm is parallel to the record.

Weight depends on the cart, but for Ortofons its 3 or 4 grams, but you can get away with 2-3 generally.
moondog
quote:
Originally posted by Trance Nutter
height of tonearm so that the tonearm is parallel to the record.

Weight depends on the cart, but for Ortofons its 3 or 4 grams, but you can get away with 2-3 generally.

i it seems to be parallel.

Here how i got it set up.

Using blank side of a 1 sided vinyl...

tonearm height set at 3 (the 3 is underneath the bit that the tonearm rests on when not being used

rear weight is set to 4th notch form the fornt (not sure what weight this is as the black ring with the weight on seems to move independantly of the actual weight)

Antiskate set to just under 4 on one deck, and just over 4 on the other

Needle doesnt move in either direction on blank vinyl

sound ok??
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by moondog
i it seems to be parallel.

Here how i got it set up.

Using blank side of a 1 sided vinyl...

tonearm height set at 3 (the 3 is underneath the bit that the tonearm rests on when not being used

rear weight is set to 4th notch form the fornt (not sure what weight this is as the black ring with the weight on seems to move independantly of the actual weight)

Antiskate set to just under 4 on one deck, and just over 4 on the other

Needle doesnt move in either direction on blank vinyl

sound ok??

ok, if the needle doesn't run out or in on a blank vinyl the antiskate is right.

take the vinyl off, and adjust the weight so that the tonearm balances, obviously don't let it drop down on the styli when you are working out this balance. But yeah, adjust so that the tonearm is balanced, not dropping down one way or the other. Put the tonearm back in the holder.

Move that ring with the numbers (not the weight, just the ring) so that 0 is on top. Then mover the weight and ring together (in the direction of the numbers) to about 2.5 and you're good to go.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement