return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Back To Basics
View this Thread in Original format
Michael May
I was getting in the habit of buying tracks and putting them into a set without ever listening to the whole track, just samples of it. My mixes were getting worse because of it. I had no clue what to expect in a certain track, and did not know anything about the structure of it. I am starting to do what I use to do when I first started spinning, which was, everytime I purchase new tunes I throw them on my I-pod and listen to them at work or in the car when driving so I can get to know the tracks a little better. Even if you just listen to the track one time, it seems to get placed in some part of your brain and you can remember it pretty well when you are mixing it. I don't know how that is possible with me, cause my brain should not even be working right now cause of all the abuse it has taken over the years. :) LOL. Glad those days are over with!!! Well, anyway, I know this is what the more experianced DJs tell you is the most important thing about Dj'ing, "Know Your Music". I am glad I woke back up to this realization and went back to basics. My sets are 100 times better because of it.

Rock On,

Mike
Aquarian
I listen to my tracks at least 20 times over. If by then I don't love it as much as I did the first time, it doesn't go in. ;)
Michael May
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian
I listen to my tracks at least 20 times over. If by then I don't love it as much as I did the first time, it doesn't go in. ;)

Yeah, it takes me a while to decide what will make it in the binder, too.
Raveaddict19
Can't agree more
Michael May
quote:
Originally posted by Raveaddict19
Can't agree more

Damn!! I keep forgetting to send that set to you. Sorry bro, I'll get it out to you in the next few days. :)
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian

thats exactly what i do too.
Raveaddict19
quote:
Originally posted by Michael May
Damn!! I keep forgetting to send that set to you. Sorry bro, I'll get it out to you in the next few days. :)

Haha its ok! I'm not going anywhere, so I'll be sure to keep buggin ya :tongue2
Lover Boy
The problem I find is I buy my vinyl by listening to samples on vinyl websites, Juno etc. This means sometimes I buy a track which has a breakdown in it, etc, which means I wouldn't have bought it if I had heard it all the way through.

Not much to do really, I agree with knowing a track properly b4 u throw it in a set though :toocool:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement