return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Wow, film school was such a waste
View this Thread in Original format
CONNERMAN2000
I mean, maybe it wasnt such a waste considering I DID get to live in the south loop of Chicago while taking classes that were pathetically easy, but then again, what the is the point in film school in the first place? Just because they taught you how to turn on a camera doesnt mean you are at all guaranteed a job in Hollywood.

I went to Columbia last year, and by all means guys, if 'film school' is anywhere in your dreams, just ignore that dream, or kill yourself. Film school is such a scam that its absolutely sick. For instance, they advertise themselves as a school 'where you can take classes pertaining to your major right away!!!'....what ing bull. What you end up doing is paying $30,000 to take unbelievably poorly taught gen-ed classes taught by part time STUDENT teachers whom dont know the difference between Socrates and Bill Gates. Then, if you havent yet sold your house, left testicle, and daughter into slavery to afford the first year, you will indeed need to for the 2nd year where you will take such ingenious academic programs including 'History of Cinema' and 'Editing'...classes that still dont resemble 'directing', which is *surprise* my major! Sure, knowing the history of the movie industry is important...but so is...oh i dunno...LEARNING WHAT I CAME HERE TO LEARN IN THE FIRST PLACE..

So then I drop out and transfer to local (and apparently #1 in the nation) community college College of Dupage, where i get to live with my parents! Then I get to go NIU next year...where...possibly NONE of the credits I achieved at $30,000 Columbia will even transfer! life is ing great. /rant

Nobody cares either, so lemme just spark up this bowl and forget I even made this thread.

C0r: Film school is a waste.
Boomer187
dude I could have told you that.

the best best directors are the ones that go out and learn it themselves. read up on it, try out....dont expect to learn how to be a great director by taking blow off classes.

so now whatcha gonna do? go to school to be a painter?
CONNERMAN2000
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
dude I could have told you that.

the best best directors are the ones that go out and learn it themselves. read up on it, try out....dont expect to learn how to be a great director by taking blow off classes.

so now whatcha gonna do? go to school to be a painter?

And I should have caught onto this 2 years ago...it would have saved me a load of money and an even bigger load of anger.

The only directors I can think of that made it big that actually went to film school come out of SoCal, where the industry is based. Chicago is not Hollywood, and I'm not really sure what Columbia is trying to pull. I mean, Columbia has something like 11,000 film students...more than any other arts school in the WORLD. That being said, do you honestly think all 11,000 are going to get famous?

For the amount of money it costs to go to Columbia for 4 years, you could make your own mega-blockbuster Lord of the Rings sequel all by your ing self.
Gordy
lol i was thinking about going to a film school called "full sail" years back, guess maybe it is a good idea that i didnt
jdat
lol you got p0wned

film school is a big joke.

I can understand taking acting classes on and off but not doing a major in that shizzle.

For a couple grand you could have built up a huge collection of must see classics and a great library and then for 5 to 10 grand get yourself all geared up to shoot in DV format ( no point in shooting 16 or 35 unless you're with the big shot studios :p ).

I myself am really interested in movie directing and as a step in learning all the ropes I'm going to start doing some theater improv ( even if I totally hate acting myself ... but apparently I'm not bad at it ), screenplay writing, lighting and sound ( I've done a lot of work in both fields ) etc.

You need a good visual sense of things as well as good general culture to make a good director I would say.

Right now I am reading "Film Production Theory" and some of the stuff in it just makes me giggle. The author is spot on about things like avoiding at all cost moving to Hollywood etc
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement