return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Cheney: The misbehaved child.
View this Thread in Original format
venomX
quote:

In contrast to Mr Cheney’s usual behind-the-scenes style, his tour has been marked by controversy. In Pakistan he ruffled President Musharraf’s feathers by making clear his dissatisfaction with efforts to combat al-Qaeda, even hinting that Congress might withdraw aid unless more progress was made. President Musharraf hit back by saying: “Pakistan does not accept dictation from any side or any source.”

Mr Cheney’s planned low-key arrival in Pakistan and Afghanistan was prefaced, perhaps even compromised, by a blaze of publicity as he visited Guam, Japan and Australia.

In one interview, he accused Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic speaker of the House of Representatives, of validating al-Qae-da’s strategy. This prompted a telephone complaint from Ms Pelosi to President Bush. Next, he repudiated Tony Blair’s suggestion that a military attack on Iran would be wrong. Mr Cheney repeatedly stated that “we haven’t taken any options off the table”, including possible military action.

He also had time to rake a swipe at China, saying that its recent antisatellite weapons test and its military build-up were “not consistent” with its stated goal of a peaceful rise as a global power.

Source

It's amazing that in just one round of comments mr. dick has managed to take a swipe at at least 3 of the US's 'prominent allies': china, Pakistan, and last but not least england. Is there any benefit to be all belligerent with your allies and try to boss them around? I mean the US is not the only country that has pride, and here is the vice-president, the second man in the white house, the actor in the supporting role, telling rulers of nations what to do. I think cheney needs a pacifier so he can keep his mouth shut when theres nothing constructive to say.
MisterOpus1
quote:
Originally posted by venomX
Source

It's amazing that in just one round of comments mr. dick has managed to take a swipe at at least 3 of the US's 'prominent allies': china, Pakistan, and last but not least england. Is there any benefit to be all belligerent with your allies and try to boss them around? I mean the US is not the only country that has pride, and here is the vice-president, the second man in the white house, the actor in the supporting role, telling rulers of nations what to do. I think cheney needs a pacifier so he can keep his mouth shut when theres nothing constructive to say.

Who, Mr. Popularity VP himself?. Welp, it's probably because Musharraf knows Cheney's about as serious as going after bin Laden as I am about becoming a ing neocon. Musharraf also has a good hint that al Qaeda's resources in N. Waziristan were the direct result of treaties with local tribe leaders that this Administration (yes, that includes Dick) encouraged and supported Musharraf to do:

quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Pakistani military is striking truces with Islamic separatists along the country's border with Afghanistan, freeing Pakistani militants and al-Qaida fighters to join Taliban insurgents battling U.S.-led troops and government forces in Afghanistan.

Western and Afghan officials said the new infiltration came as the United States, its NATO allies and the Afghan government were struggling to stem a resurgence of the Taliban across large swaths of southern and eastern Afghanistan.

The fighting in Afghanistan is the bloodiest since U.S. forces drove the Taliban from power after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Many of the movement's top leaders, along with Osama bin Laden and many of his followers, escaped to Pakistan and have never been caught.

The Pakistani regime of Gen. Pervez Musharraf has been negotiating truces - with the Bush administration's encouragement - with Islamic separatists in North Waziristan and South Waziristan, mountainous tribal areas along the Afghan border where U.S. officials think bin Laden may be hiding.

In return, Pakistani officials are promising to restrict the country's troops in the area to major bases and towns and to pour huge amounts of aid - much of it from the United States and other nations - into the destitute region, according to American officials.

But as the truces take hold, separatists have been crossing into Afghanistan to fight alongside Taliban and al-Qaida fighters, according to Western and Afghan officials.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwas...ld/15419933.htm

So let's make sure we get this tangled web of "allies" straight - if Sy Hersh's recent piece is accurate, not only is Bush and Cheney funding the Sunni's in hopes of beating back the Shiite majority in Iraq, Iran, and elsewhere in the Middle East, which has a wonderful effect of funding the very insurgents who's killing our troops (and even directly undermining the very "democratic government" we are supporting in Iraq),

but we also see here how Bush and Cheney have supported treaties with tribe leaders in leagues with al Qaeda who're causing more havoc than ever in Afghanistan and are charging up for a major military offensive in the spring, all the while Bush is pulling some of our troops out of Afghanistan to support his "surge" in Iraq.

I'm sorry, what side is this Administration on again?
Lilith
quote:
Originally posted by MisterOpus1
I'm sorry, what side is this Administration on again?

Same as it always was, their own

Wish I could find the garden press conference where Bush basically drops Musharraf in the crap in front of everyone and makes in no uncertain terms who is the bitch in that relationship... :nervous:
shaolin_Z
quote:
Originally posted by Lilith

Wish I could find the garden press conference where Bush basically drops Musharraf in the crap in front of everyone and makes in no uncertain terms who is the bitch in that relationship... :nervous:

Hehe :). They didn't have a problem doing that with Saddam who's sweet little reltionship began with the US quite early, starting with being a CIA asset as early as the age of 18, but back then he was just being trained to be a hitman and a useful idiot.
Q5echo
quote:
In contrast to Mr Cheney’s usual behind-the-scenes style, his tour has been marked by controversy. In Pakistan he ruffled President Musharraf’s feathers by making clear his dissatisfaction with efforts to combat al-Qaeda, even hinting that Congress might withdraw aid unless more progress was made. President Musharraf hit back by saying: “Pakistan does not accept dictation from any side or any source.”

Mr Cheney’s planned low-key arrival in Pakistan and Afghanistan was prefaced, perhaps even compromised, by a blaze of publicity as he visited Guam, Japan and Australia.

In one interview, he accused Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic speaker of the House of Representatives, of validating al-Qae-da’s strategy. This prompted a telephone complaint from Ms Pelosi to President Bush. Next, he repudiated Tony Blair’s suggestion that a military attack on Iran would be wrong. Mr Cheney repeatedly stated that “we haven’t taken any options off the table”, including possible military action.

He also had time to rake a swipe at China, saying that its recent antisatellite weapons test and its military build-up were “not consistent” with its stated goal of a peaceful rise as a global power.

my word! the nerve!

i guess the light hearted and jaunty days of Truman and JFK are well past:rolleyes:

indulge guys

Lilith
No, it's just the usual imbalance

Not enough of this-

And way too much of these-
venomX
quote:
Originally posted by Q5echo
my word! the nerve!

i guess the light hearted and jaunty days of Truman and JFK are well past:rolleyes:

indulge guys

See the problem with your argument is that light hearted jaunt needs wittiness and subtlety. It also needs a delicate use of intimidation and ambivalence. What Cheney does is as subtle as Rosie O'donell at a gay pride parade.
Magnetonium
quote:
Originally posted by venomX
See the problem with your argument is that light hearted jaunt needs wittiness and subtlety. It also needs a delicate use of intimidation and ambivalence. What Cheney does is as subtle as Rosie O'donell at a gay pride parade.

:haha: I like that analogy! :haha:
DJ Shibby
quote:

Not enough of this-

LOL

Quality, as usual. =)
shaolin_Z
quote:

Not enough of this-

Hehe. Not that it isn't funny, but it's really quite off mark. Being intelligent doesn't necessarily imply you're ethical, or care about right or wrong, which the s in the white house clearly don't.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement