return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
my gig at a hip-hop crowd party
View this Thread in Original format
lucas ss
so one of my friends who spins progressivish like myself asked me to spin at a birthday party on campus for a mostly hip-hop crowd. they were going to have breakdancers, so he wanted my help spinning breaks and playing some hip-hop tracks. i knew i would have to put up with a lot of BS, but i was broke (well, i still am broke :D ) and i would be able to drink for free and make a few bucks.

neither of us had any hip-hop tracks, but the guy throwing the party was supposed to bring us some CDs. neither of us had spun any hip-hop before.

so, there were only a few people there so i started out spinning some breaks and then on to prog/house stuff, and then the dude came back with 20 hip-hop mp3s on two CDRs. 1/3 of the tracks were VBR and therefore were not cueable on the CDJ200s. the CDs weren't labelled, so I just started playing tracks in order 1,2,3 :p i learned that hip-hop BPMs vary greatly...i would have one track at -16 and one at +16 and it would still not be in range. some tracks had decent cue points, and some did NOT...sometimes i would just cue from some point before the first snare and see how it would go. i pulled off some beautiful transitions, but many transitions were just quick fades and some were complete shxt. and 20 hip-hop tracks don't last for long. no way i'm going to mix hip-hop again, i'll just put in a mix CD.

the basement started filling up, and some girl was like "can you play "lean back" again? and i was like "...the track that i just played" and she said "yeah" and i must have given her an "are you retarded? :rolleyes:" look because she was like "okay, WhatEver!".

so the hip-hop cashed, and my friend was spinning prog, and these 2 girls and a guy at the bar were like "no techno! no techno!". then, the breakdancers came, which i'd actually met before, so i started playing breaks, and they breakdanced for 2 tracks, and then stopped. i was just getting warmed up, and a little ticked by the general rudeness of the partygoers, so i started playing the nastiest hardest electro breaks that i had....that felt good...

eventually we went back to spinning the same 20 tracks of garbage that we played earlier, and that was it. only two college-boy scuffles broke out the whole night. it's not like everyone hated us; there were people dancing and we got a cheer at the end. so, a cooler of cold beer by my side the whole night, and 20 bucks for hangover food the next day....about adequate compensation for a night of putting up with BS. not something i'd like to do on a regular basis though...

thought i'd share my experience!
Atmos
Lol...my 1st hiphop experience was just as bad, well not bad for the ppl, but for me. I had a friend give me two cd's with about 60 tracks in total mp3 format. I just used the quick fade technique and played with the effects on my DXM and the crowd loved it.
lucas ss
quote:
Originally posted by Atmos
Lol...my 1st hiphop experience was just as bad, well not bad for the ppl, but for me. I had a friend give me two cd's with about 60 tracks in total mp3 format. I just used the quick fade technique and played with the effects on my DXM and the crowd loved it.

lol, oh yeah, i was rocking the FX the whole night :D especially the "zip" onboard the CDJ200s.

also i guy asked to "play something you can grind to" hmm....let's see, i usually put my grind stuff inbetween the deep house and minimal tech-house....
JoNMiTz
quote:
Originally posted by lucas ss
also i guy asked to "play something you can grind to"

this and everything else you mentioned is exactly why i have no interest in ever playing for a hip-hop crowd...

edit: err, i forgot. i did play for them once. it was pretty much exactly like you said. it was back in high school. it was so stupid.
Raveaddict19
:wtf:

i dont meen to sound like a cockass, but if you call that putting up with 'bull' while playing top 40 and hip hop, then you sir are a lucky lucky son of a bitch and i envy you in never having the experience of playing to dumb ghetto wannabe ass mother******s who should be exterminated...

...seriously
Stu Cox
Now you see over here we don't really get the "every party wants hip hop" thing... it's much worse than that :p

Most of the young people over here just want cheese. By cheese, I mean a sprinkling of cheesy pop that's in the charts at the moment, some of the big commercial dance tracks (that I can cope with), the odd big r'n'b or hip hop track, whatever indie tracks are big at the time and the bulk of it is filled out with 70s, 80s and 90s pop like the same Queen tracks you hear at every ing cheese night (normally 'Don't Stop Me Now'), e like 'Build Me Up Buttercup' by The Foundations, Chesney Hawkes, Brian Adams, S Club 7 (I don't even know if that was a 'phenomenon' which reached the States) and so on... we're talking about the majority of people aged between 16 and 25 here, it's sickening. It's literally all that 80% of university girls will listen to.
Raveaddict19
Give me cheese ANY DAY over "Pop Lock and Drop It" "Walk It Out" "Throw Some D's On It" and a bunch of people acting all hard and loud and obnoxious to try to mimick a lifestyle they clearly know NOTHING about

I get the cream of the crop experiences since I play some big clubs around here, some really really dark ty ghetto ones AND weddings...and give me anything...seriously guys I can't stress it enough, ANYTHING over ghetto nasty poppin snappin yo fingaz good ol U.S. Of A. hip hop retardation

ANYTHING :whip:
ill0gical0ne
sounds just like the party that I DJed at a few weeks ago...
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Raveaddict19
Give me cheese ANY DAY over "Pop Lock and Drop It" "Walk It Out" "Throw Some D's On It" and a bunch of people acting all hard and loud and obnoxious to try to mimick a lifestyle they clearly know NOTHING about

I get the cream of the crop experiences since I play some big clubs around here, some really really dark ty ghetto ones AND weddings...and give me anything...seriously guys I can't stress it enough, ANYTHING over ghetto nasty poppin snappin yo fingaz good ol U.S. Of A. hip hop retardation

ANYTHING :whip:

Werd.
ballmouse
One time this DJ played at my school cafeteria. It was hip-hop and he was also MCing...

Yeah, it was horrible. :nervous:

lawrenceq
quote:
Originally posted by Raveaddict19

BAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW, I LOL'd... I did a ty house party once and all I got was "yo man turn dat techno awff and throw down sum gangsta beats yo". seriously... who says yo twice in one sentence... douche bag
Zerowing23
ive had some bad experiences from doing hip-hop parties because the people are so freaking rude and they freak out on your ass if you dont have or play the song they want.

the worst night was when i did some girls 17th b-day party at her house. Before i started she sent me a list of songs that her and her friends like and like i expected, all really hardcore rap and hip-hop...ugh. So i get to the party and the father of the daughter came up to me and was like "dude, i feel sorry for you." after some conversation, i figured out that the b-day girl advertised her party by posting flyers all over her high school as an open invitation. About 2 hours into the night, there were like 300 people packed into the backyard and all around the house and most of them were gangstas. I had to repeat walk it out and ballin like 20 times each which was annoying as hell. then i had people requesting rap from artists i have never heard of...then they proceed to flip out. so basically i got treated like dirt so towards the end i just start playing some tech-trance and house music and half of them left lol....that made me smile :)

but yeah, i feel for ya man
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement