return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Running Rane Serato on a Mac (w/ min Requirements)
View this Thread in Original format
spdandpwr
I am in the market for purchasing a new laptop just for music and running rane serato...i was wondering if purchasing a mac would be better than say a pc...

the reason being is that my budget is under 1k....with 1 yr warranty..

the only pc's i can find have only 512mb of ram which is the minimum for rane... so i guess what i am asking is will rane run fine on a computer like the one's within my price range....and does anybody know of any good laptops for that price....
b i n k u n
i run a mac powerbook G4 1gHz with 512mb of ram....does fine for me. you just gotta set the screen refresh rate low and play with other settings.

don't know of any laptops in your price range though.
DjWoody
Macs are best for DJing live with them. They are way more stable than PC's, you don't have to worry about virus, etc.

Anyhow, Microcenter has some POWERBOOK G4's for $899.

http://microcenter.com/images/speci....front.full.jpg

Those laptops have the old G4 Processor. That's why they're cheap. I use Serato on a MacBook that costed me $1100. If you're a student, Apple will hook you up. If not, than buy online from another state to avoid sales tax.
DannyO
I got an old iBook G4 1.2Ghz that I use for Serato, had to change the refresh settings abit, but she runs like a beauty, have not once had an audio dropout or had it stop responding to the records.

Only time I have EVER had a problem is when the records get dusty or needles get very worn out.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement