return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA

The Best MP3 Player Combo: Meizu MP4 + Sennheiser CX-300
View this Thread in Original format
delobbo
So I've been shopping for a smaller MP3 player for a while now. I would say, about 1-2 years. I kept putting it off because I wanted to keep doing research on it, to see what else they would come out with. And, I didn't want to be rushed.

A little history about me to give you an idea of where I'm coming from:
I have a 40gb ipod and a huge Creative ZEN 30gb, and an older Rio. I have tried Sony's digital players, Cowon's flash players (very good), Trekstor Vibes (friend had one, the HD crashed within 2 weeks of use.. (bad!) and others. I have tried Shure E3C, Sony EX51, EX71 (which I swore by until I heard the Senn's - which make you realize how tinny-sounding the Sonys are), a couple of Panasonic, and of course the Senn's. The ipod's HD went bad a few months ago, I had only had it for around 2 years. Not to mention all the trouble I've had with itunes. The Creative is still ticking, although I did have to reformat it recently. It's over 3 years old. With this nice weather I finally got tired of carrying around the monger Creative in my pocket and decided to do some more research.

So late last week, I believed I had found what I thought was the best player to come around in a while. And I ordered it. My primary concern is sound quality - I am quite stubborn about it. Well, I got it today, and I am happy to say I did find it.

Meizu MP4 Miniplayer

+

Sennheiser CX-300

=

The best portable sound I have ever heard. My ears are in heaven. This is the purest, cleanest sound I've ever heard from a portable. Clean deep bass, clean crisp highs. This is a 4GB player. Put your best music on it. You will want to hear all your favorite music over again. I imagine they will come out with a 32GB+ version sometime within the next year or so. I will buy it just to have this sound. There are a couple of quirks - I really don't think any player is perfect; the scrolling function is touchy - but you get used to it. But once you hear the sound, you will forget about it.

10-band EQ, with 30 steps of adjustment, per band. On top of this it also has a separate Treble (3 steps) and Bass boost (15 steps). Out of the box, there was too much bass with the Senn's - I had to turn it down to 3, and its perfect. But all of this means nothing if the SOUND is bad. Which, it is not. It has "Spatialization" and other sound options (Virtual3D, phase corrected EQ, and virtual bass enhancement) that I've turned off because they are not needed. 2" 320x240 screen and a smaller footprint than a credit card. It's about as thick as half-a-deck of playing cards.

The sound coming out of this thing is ridiculous. 0-40 levels of volume, right now I'm at 16 and its plenty loud. The highest I've gone is 20. This also has to do with the CX-300's. They push out a lot of sound and also have great exterior noise isolation. Battery life on the Meizu is supposed to be incredible. Will find out about that as I use it.

It also has 2 games preloaded (that I doubt I'll play), a calculator, calendar, and stopwatch. Full USB disk functionality, so when you plug it into your computer, it shows up as a Removable Disk - drag whatever files you want to it. No nonsense proprietary software apps to deal with. If you want to do playlists, you do it in WMP.

This is quite a deal. I got mine for around $108 from Amazon. Prices vary wildly since this is not available readily. It came with a protective carrying case, earphones (that I don't think I'll be opening) and a cleaning cloth (even though it comes with a protective very thin "skin" on the front and back - which I am going to leave in place).

Their site.

Here are pics of the player.
17thfloorplumbe
very informative
haider
I'm going back to bed
djarecebo
I've been lookin for a good pair of earbuds, are these sennheiser's very comfortable? Also, do they fit in your ears well?
delobbo
they come with 3 sizes of earbud thingies.. I cant even tell Im wearing em. Of course, the buds themselves are the same design as the Sony, which I had been using for a long time... Very easy to put on and remove, too. The Shures sucked for that. Totally not good if you are "on the go".

The CX-300's also have more defined bass - the Sonys by comparison are muddy-sounding.
djarecebo
quote:
Originally posted by delobbo
they come with 3 sizes of earbud thingies.. I cant even tell Im wearing em. Of course, the buds themselves are the same design as the Sony, which I had been using for a long time... Very easy to put on and remove, too. The Shures sucked for that. Totally not good if you are "on the go".

The CX-300's also have more defined bass - the Sonys by comparison are muddy-sounding.

I think you may have sold me.
Tuis
I wonder how this would sound hooked into my car stereo. Sounds a lot easier to manage than my old Lyra (which died awhile ago).

(Their site seems slow to me) =p
djarecebo
I've been reading a few reviews stating that these buds don't stay well in the ears when running, which is something I'd need them for. Any suggestions for something like that, or are buds just out of the question?
delobbo
I haven't tried running with em so I don't know. I have read reports of other in-ears having trouble with running too... I think most runners wear the over the head kind...?
djarecebo
The generic ipod ones stay in fine while running, but they are, well, different. I may just have to invest in two pairs.

Yuris
Nothing beats the Oakley Thump
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement