return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Grapheme-color synesthesia
View this Thread in Original format
AlphaStarred
Does anyone have it and are willing to share their remarkable ability to do such a thing? I'm very curious. A friend of mine experiences this, and he once mentioned it while some electronic music was playing.

Namely, this.
tranceDJ
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
Does anyone have it and are willing to share their remarkable ability to do such a thing? I'm very curious. A friend of mine experiences this, and he once mentioned it while some electronic music was playing.

Is this when you "see" music? I can see one imagining colors in their own head...as for actual seeing them I think that it would require some psychedelic drugs for that.

I know there are people who are autistic who see colors for different notes and keys in music.
AlphaStarred
quote:
Originally posted by tranceDJ
I know there are people who are autistic who see colors for different notes and keys in music.

Yep, that's it dude. I don't think it's peculiar to only autistic people. Then again, wikipedia is not always the best source.
narcism
apparently this is how rollo armstrong makes his music :)
tranceDJ
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
Yep, that's it dude. I don't think it's peculiar to only autistic people. Then again, wikipedia is not always the best source.

Yeah, I'm sure other people experience it to an extent but its autistic people who really see them well. I saw something on TV where this guy was on a train and could tell what musical key the noise of the engine was in from seeing the colors in his head (he was blind).

Really shows the complexity of the human brain.
AlphaStarred
quote:
Originally posted by tranceDJ
...Really shows the complexity of the human brain.

Indeed. I'm trying to convince my friend to record and practice more with his electric guitar, the playing of which appealed to me greatly. Perhaps he thought it was quite natural, for he was surprised when I told him I'd never felt anything similar.
Dervish
I've heard of it in people with autism. It isn't a defect, more a development. They perceive better than us. They can literally see notes coming from a speaker.

I think it has to do with their senses being more combined and correlated.
Cloudburst
I've experienced this to a certain degree.

I've for example heard songs that feel extremely "yellow" for me and I have no idea why. Same with other colours.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement