return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

MP3 Splitting from 1 big MP3...
View this Thread in Original format
spectra
I recorded my first mix the other day, 74 minutes long using Traktor streaming to wav. I turned it into a 192kb MP3, and one of my m8s wants it on CD. But rather than have 1 big CDA i would like to have the songs split just before each mix. I have MP3cutter2 but it doesn't do the job since when I try to play them without a gap it skips by about half a second.

Does anyone know any programs which can help?

Cheers, Spectra
Agent-Fire
Use Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer to split the big file into tracks, and then you can use nero or easy cd to burn it on cd, but be sure to choose 0 second space between the tracks.
Alccode
Agent-Fire's solution will work, but if you're like me (i.e. too lazy to find the damn program, download it, figure it out, etc.), then what you can do is just use Notepad!

That's right, Notepad - or any other text processing program, and write up a .cue file so that Nero or CDRWIN will automatically know where to split up the tracks. This way you don't have to manually cut up the mp3 file. Not only does this save up on time, but it's easier on your computer! A 74 minute 192kbit mp3 is a huge file, and chopping it up will seriously bog down (or even crash) your computer, depending on your specs.

OK, the easy way to do the cue file:

1. Open up your mp3 in Winamp or something, and record the times at which every new track plays. With .cue files you have XX:XX:XX accuracy, but XX:XX (min:sec) should be just fine, unless you want to be *really* picky.

2. Type up your .cue file! Here is an example: NOTE that the times displayed correspond to when that specific track *begins*, NOT when it ENDS, or how long it is.

(EDIT: After posting, the margins in the .cue example were truncated, so I've separated each track from another with a blank line. I don't think it makes a difference in the .cue file, but just so you know, the empty line between tracks really shouldn't be there.)

----------------------------------------

PERFORMER "PAUL VAN DYK"
TITLE "Live at Mayday 2000"
FILE "c:\temp\master.wav" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "ID"
PERFORMER "UNKNOWN"
INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Sequences"
PERFORMER "BT"
INDEX 01 03:01:00

TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Cousteau"
PERFORMER "REMY"
INDEX 01 07:54:00

TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Beta Blocker"
PERFORMER "JOHN REES VS HELIOS"
INDEX 01 12:58:62

TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Sandstorm"
PERFORMER "DARUDE"
INDEX 01 17:35:47

TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Welcome To The Dance"
PERFORMER "DES MITCHELL"
INDEX 01 23:06:62

TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "For An Angel (PVD E-Werk Club Mix"
PERFORMER "PAUL VAN DYK"
INDEX 01 28:21:45

TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Deflection EP Part1"
PERFORMER "VDM"
INDEX 01 34:54:43

TRACK 09 AUDIO
TITLE "Expansion"
PERFORMER "BILL HAMEL"
INDEX 01 37:57:00

TRACK 10 AUDIO
TITLE "Realistic"
PERFORMER "THE INFERNAL MACHINE"
INDEX 01 40:58:65

TRACK 11 AUDIO
TITLE "Columbia"
PERFORMER "PAUL VAN DYK"
INDEX 01 45:29:64

TRACK 12 AUDIO
TITLE "Tell Me Why"
PERFORMER "PAUL VAN DYK"
INDEX 01 49:22:20

TRACK 13 AUDIO
TITLE "We Are Alive"
PERFORMER "PAUL VAN DYK"
INDEX 01 55:25:56

----------------------------------------

NOTE#2: Look at line 3 of the .cue file example above:

FILE "c:\temp\master.wav" WAVE

As you can see this is a .wav file and not .mp3. I usually change the .mp3 to .wav, that way the quality is better and not lossy. However you're using a 192kbit mp3 file, so I really don't know how much of a difference there is. I hope some experts on .wav/.mp3 differences will speak up. In the end, you can't go wrong with .wav. I sometimes tend to notice pops and clicks when I burn mp3's directly. If you really want to burn directly from .mp3, change the "WAVE" in line 3 to "MP3".

Anyway, the easy way to convert .mp3 to .wav (IMHO) is to simply use Winamp. In the Winamp menu, go to Options -> Preferences. Under "Plug-ins", select "Output", then double-click on "Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v2.0a (x86) [out_disk.dll]". The version doesn't necessarily have to correspond, it just has to be "Disk Writer" i.e. it routes the output of whatever you play to a file instead of to your soundcard and speakers. Once you double-click that, change your Output Directory to something appropriate and convenient (note that it has to match the .cue file). Under "Convert to format", select the best quality option (I usually use PCM; 44100kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo, 172 kb/s). Then click OK and close the window.

Now, you have to watch this next part: what you do is simply play your mp3, and instead of hearing it, it will be outputted to a file. HOWEVER, make sure that it is either a) the only file in your playlist or b) it's the LAST file in your playlist, because once it's done "playing" (i.e. outputting), Winamp will move on to whatever's next in your Winamp playlist, and you don't want that! Also be careful that you have Repeat off, so that it doesn't loop the file again. So just be careful. NOTE that after you finish this, be sure to change your Output back to what it was, otherwise everything you play in Winamp will be outputted to a file on disk! Go to the Winamp menu, Options -> Preferences. Click on "Output", then double-click on "Nullsoft waveOut plug-in v2.3 [out_wave.dll]" (or whatever you had before).

Hope all that helps. Oh, and I recommend using Nero; sometimes CDRWIN chokes on .cue's for some reason.
spectra
Ahh excellent. Cheers guys I'll try both ways, i'm sure they'll help alot, and thx alot for the explanation Alccode, that must have taken some time to write, =)

Oh and in answer it was in .wav, and is just under 800mb and is still on my second drive. 192kb is the same quality as a CD, well that or better. Usually the highest quality .wav file written is a Pulse Code Modulated 44.1KHz, 16-bit stereo signal, which is 172kb. Of course if your sound card supports it and with better software you can make a better quality wav, but otherwise I think that is normal.

Either way I will try both.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement