return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA

Aug 3rd/4th 'DOUBLE FEATURE' w/ SUPERCHUMBO & DEMI @ BLEU (Detroit)
View this Thread in Original format
marcus_beier
Detroit2
DOUBLE FEATURE WEEKEND / AUGUST 3 + 4

Friday August 3
TOM STEPHAN aka SUPERCHUMBO
tomstephan.com | myspace.com/superchumbo | England
YOS
Bleu | PTD | DCC | Detroit
"DJ Booth on the Main Floor / Giant Screen w/ Visuals / Lasers"
1 and 2 Day Passes Available @ www.wantickets.com
$2 Corona and Stoli Vodka Cocktails from 10-11:30pm
Doors @ 10pm until 4am
18+

Saturday August 4
DEMI
Deeper Substance Records | myspace.com/djdemi | UK
ANTHONY ATTALLA
Bleu | TRU | Detroit
"DJ Booth on the Main Floor / Giant Screen w/ Visuals / Lasers"
1 and 2 Day Passes Available @ www.wantickets.com
$2 Corona and Stoli Vodka Cocktails from 10-11:30pm
Doors @ 10pm until 4am
18+

(Early Bird) 2 Day Passes Available for $15 @ www.wantickets.com
Detroit2
Short DJ Biography for DJ Demi (UK)

“Like in any industry, if you work hard and persevere in your beliefs, things come. I guess this stems from my father and I thank him for that and much more.”

It is this determination and at the same time, talent, honesty and genuinity which has won Demi many friends and admirers across the globe. Inspired by the likes of John Digweed, Danny Tenaglia, Danny Howells, and others, Demi has moulded his own style and presence.

“People like Danny, and John are people I consider to be my mentors. I have learnt so much from each individual that has added a little something to my music. Besides their undoubted talent, it is how these guys have carried themselves through the different stages in their careers. Their characters and their work ethic, has had a lot to do with the success I have achieved so far and who see me as almost a reflection of themselves when they first started out.”

A certain element of fate may have been the cause of Demi’s chance meeting with Danny Tenaglia at Homelands 2002, but as Demi says, “you make your own luck”. And this is exactly what happened.

His efforts were noticed by John Digweed and Tom Stephan who both featured him as a guest mixer for their respective acclaimed Kiss 100 shows in London. John Digweed’s support also led Demi into making his debut at John’s legendary Bedrock party at Heaven over the Easter period, entrusting and rewarding Demi with hosting his own Deeper Substance party in the Soundshaft room. The night was a massive success, with the room staying packed and open for an extra hour after close time.

Whilst Demi continued and continues to host and play at one of London’s flagship house nights, Deeper Substance, on a monthly basis, he has also been able to tour extensively across the globe.

“The night here in London has been the foundation of all the successful touring abroad. I am amazed by how many people in places as far as the Far East and South America know about Deeper Substance”.

Indeed it was this continual work in self-promoting and the several mix CD’s which Demi gave to Danny when they first met that eventually led to Demi making his debut at the legendary Vinyl/Arc venue playing with Danny himself. This promoted the attention of both Pete Tong at Radio One, and various London magazines that ran features on the night and Demi.

Demi has subsequently gone on to play 4 more times at the Arc, playing extended sets with Danny, which has demonstrated his belief in this young talent.

The Pacha Ibiza team were alerted to Demi’s growing profile by Danny Tenaglia and a recent debut performance at Ibiza’s legendary Pacha club at the DEF MIX Closing party 2003 drew praise from the owners and punters who were surprised by the diversity and range of his performance on the terrace.

His regular visits and tours to the Far East, Stateside and South America have won him many admirers, and a recent trip to one of Toronto’s leading clubs, Boa, impressed the owner and staff so much that he was offered a bi-monthly residency on the spot. Having had previous guests including the likes of Frankie Knuckles, Jeff Mills and Sander Kleinenberg, the new residency sees Demi now establishing his own sleazy signature house sound over marathon sets at the club.

Since reaching the finals in a national competition run by Muzik and Cream in 2002, Demi’s talent has also confirmed him as one of Cream’s newest residents, playing alongside the likes of Jon Carter, Eric Morillo, Stanton Warriors, Sander Kleinenberg and standing in for Nick Warren on tour in Egypt.

On the production front, a remix of one of David Bowie’s all time classics “Let’s Dance”, which with the help of one of LA’s up and coming producers Trifactor sees Demi now attempt to further stamp his own unique sleaze fuelled house sound. The track was also put into the hands of Bowie and his management, who liked the remix so much that they featured it on a recent CD release of David Bowie remixes. Support has also come from a host of premier DJ’s including Jimmy Van Mallegham, Anthony Pappa and Sander Kleinenberg.

The follow up to “Let’s Dance”, “9 AM” continues to be road tested and looks set to be the track that thrusts Demi into the limelight. Again fusing percussive rhythms and sleazy deep basslines with an incredible orchestral arrangement by studio partner Solare, DT and Francois K were both so impressed with the 12-minute epic that they requested their own copies.

DJ Magazine earlier this year listed Demi as one of their top 20 tips for 2004, quoting him as one of the most invigorating and stimulating DJ’s the magazine has seen all year. With a hectic schedule of UK and international gigs already filling up his diary for 2004, this year looks set to be the one that sees Demi breaking through into the big league.
Detroit2
Tom Stephan aka Superchumbo

Updated 05-06

Tom himself may be shy but his transatlantic, twisted sound is anything but! His inimitable, seamless blend of deep tribal, jerky rhythms and electronic bleeps creates a sound that is now recognized as Superchumbo.

Tom became enamoured with music at a very young age, through a combination of his own intrigue, and the influence of his father, a musician. He moved from upstate New York to London in 1991 to study at the London International Film School, but quickly became more interested in making the music for the films than the actual pictures themselves.

It was on a trip home when a good friend of his took him out to the legendary Sound Factory, where he was seduced by the dirty sounds of Junior Vasquez. “I had never heard music like this before - sounds like DJ Pierre, Cajmere, X Press 2- it was all new to me and I fell in love instantly”.

His frequent trips to Sound Factory inspired Tom to learn the art of mixing, and try to recreate that sound in London. Tom’s own dj career kickstarted after warming up for Danny Tenaglia at Ministry of Sound. “They finally needed a DJ who played that “dark New York stuff” so Wayne, the promoter, asked me to do the warm up set. I cannot tell you how nervous I was!”.

Things really picked up from there with residencies at Substation and Crash, a gay club in Vauxhall reminiscent of the best New York's meat packing district had to offer. It was also there where Danny Newman, promoter of London's highly acclaimed club, Turnmills, was passed a copy of one of Tom's DJ mixes resulting in a new residency for the backroom straight away! This grew so big that Danny offered him his own night, and so hatched Roach, the infamous London night that ran every last Saturday of the month until Jan 2003.

Now Tom is one of the hardest working dj’s in the industry flying all over the world to wow crowds with his music. Playing clubs the length and breadth of the world, he juggles his DJ commitments with his production and remix work while heading up his newly established label ChumboMundo.

Both under his own name and under his Superchumbo moniker (Portuguese for “super- leaded”) he keeps scoring hit after hit filling up record boxes of every self-respecting dj in the industry. Tracks like ‘Irresistible’, ‘This Beat Is’, ‘Dirtyfilthy’ and his latest ‘Here I Come’ have all topped various charts. ‘The Revolution’ was declared Track of the Year by Pete Tong in 2001 and still counts as a classic. Furthermore he has worked his remix magic on both crossover and underground artists alike. Missy Elliot, Eric Morillo, Goldfrapp, Roger Sanchez, Kylie, Danny Tenaglia and Peace Division ( to name but a few) have all received the Superchumbo treatment at one point in time or another.

Over the years his various Mix compilations allowed Tom to showcase his distinct sound and were received extremely well by clubbers. His last one – a joint project with Roger Sanchez as part of the Afterdark series on Stealth Records – which was released in the fall of 2005 and is still selling substantial numbers was an absolute smash.

Despite the endless list of artists wanting a piece of the Superchumbo magic, original material is still Tom’s priority and 2005 saw the release of his debut artist album “Wowie Zowie”. Having released a string of Superchumbo singles, the last 3 reaching number one in the US Billboard Dance charts, Tom felt it was time for something new. “I wanted to expand on the Superchumbo sound and I felt that a full length album was the way to do that.” Wowie Zowie is the result of 2 years of production and features guests including Celeda, Neil Tennant, and Samantha Fox. What else do you expect from a man who says the two most played tracks on his iPod are “The Look of Love” by Dusty Springfield and “Stainless Steel Providers” by the Revolting Cocks!

The latest chapter in Tom’s recording career is the establishment of his own record label ChumboMundo. It launched in February 2005, and the first 3 releases have been receiving support from the likes of Pete Tong, Danny Tenaglia, Junior Vasquez, Deep Dish and Erick Morillo. “ChumboMundo was set up to feed the leadheads around the world with the freshest Chumbo beats. It will be home of Superchumbo productions of course, but I will also be collaborating with like-minded leadheads such as Toru S from Tokyo, Kamisshake from London, Italian superstar DJ Ralf, and the legendary king of acid house DJ Pierre!”
Detroit2
$15 Two Day Passes at www.wantickets.com
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement