return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Turntable problem - unwanted noise
View this Thread in Original format
mr_sick
I got a little problem with 1 of my turntables.
When I put too much bass on my eq there's a continuous sound coming (something like a continuous bass)
It looks like a magnetical problem but I'm not sure at all.
The problem also comes when I don't play a record.
This sound comes up also when I'm tapping on the table where they are.

Anyone can help me? (I use ortofon concorde needles and my decks are not techs)
skywarp
Did you ground your tables ? Connect the really thin lead from your decks to the little grounding knob on your mixer (somewhere on the back). That should help.

If not, try cleaning your cartridge contacts.
mr_sick
Yes the grounds are connected on the tables and on the mixer so I suppose it's not the problem. I'll try to clean the contacts of my cartridges but I already tried with another cartridge and it was the same result.

This sound is boring ;)
Great Outdoors
Jesus your problem does sound unique, if it's not the earthing then I can't help you much coz that's basically as far as my knowledge of turntable troubleshooting will take me. :D But where is the bass coming from; the platter?

Anyone else willing to help?
mr_sick
the "bass" (dunno how to call it but it looks like a bass) comes from the speakers. When I put a lower volume on my stereo then it disappear. It's very strange, I'll test with another mixer in a few days maybe the one I use is defect.
DJTJ
You say it goes away when you turn the volume down on your stereo? In that case, it's feedback. What are your decks mounted on, and where are they in relation to the speakers? If you have the speaker on the same table or whatever as the TT, then the vibrations from the speaker travel through the table and make the turntable vibrate. This travels through the turntable and makes the needle vibrate in the groove, causing more bass frequencies to be transmitted to the speakers, which then make the table vibrate....

Basically, move the speakers onto the floor if you can, or somewhere other than where they are now. If you can't do this, try putting a folded towel underneath the speakers to out vibrations.

There is another method that I saw once, that worked really well... You get four plywood boards big enough to hold your turntables. Then, cut holes near each corner about 2" across. Then, get 8 tennis balls and put one in each hole and put one board on top of the other. Hey presto, you have two nice suspension systems for your decks!
DJ LIQUID
Hey i'd like to make a suggestion.

some carts come with a metal clip on them that you have to take off or leave on depending what type of tone arm ur turntable has. if it is not set correctly you will get that "HUMMMM" noise (feedback)
DJ-Kuza
I have a hum on my Stanton STR8-80 and I can't get rid of it. It doesn't happen on the STR8-60 and it must be ground. The STR8-60 has it's own ground wire that I hook up to the mixer, while the STR8-80 doesn't. I think it's grounded by the power chord but it's only got 2 prongs. So.... I think I've got bad grounding in my house. We have a dryer that keeps blowing the fuse in the basement also. Sucks, but not much you can do if you dont' want to re-wire your whole grounding for your house.
DJTJ
Well if your power plug has only two prongs then it definitely isn't grounded by that. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the str8-80 is supposed to ground itself without the need for a separate ground wire, although it could be another turntable. I've always been a bit suspicious of this myself, sounds like it's not likely to work very well. No easy way to get round it though, as far as I can see.
Transa
Dunno if the older techs have it but my 1210 mk3's have rubber shock absorbers on the legs and it cuts out all little bumps/vibrations etc.

Well almost all, sumtimes the girls dancing at parties and lying on my tt's things up, Lol!

DJTJ
Yes, the mk2's have them as well. Mine do, at least!

There hasn't been too many dancing girls on them recently though, I think I'm going to have to do something about that.:p
mr_sick
Thanx guys for your help, my speakers were too close from my tt's.
Now it works great ;)

I want some girls dancing on my turntables too! ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement