return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Positioning speakers?
View this Thread in Original format
cookiekn
i have a problem deciding where to put my speakers in my room to get the best perspective while im mixing. i have looked through alot of the pictures of other peoples setups and there seems to be alot of diversity.

I was just wondering if there is as standard 'rule of thumb' when it comes to positioning your speakers

I have my decks on a table with my mixer in the middle
Ryan0751
You mean for monitors I assume?

The most important thing for me is that they be up around ear height, and fairly close.

quote:
Originally posted by cookiekn
i have a problem deciding where to put my speakers in my room to get the best perspective while im mixing. i have looked through alot of the pictures of other peoples setups and there seems to be alot of diversity.

I was just wondering if there is as standard 'rule of thumb' when it comes to positioning your speakers

I have my decks on a table with my mixer in the middle
Fledz
I don't think positioning for DJing is that crucial. It is for production but for DJing you don't need to hear everything perfectly.
SPAWNmaster
quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
I don't think positioning for DJing is that crucial. It is for production but for DJing you don't need to hear everything perfectly.

completely true...ofcourse if you have a pair of near-field studio monitors than you might as well position them correctly regardless of using them for DJ'ing or Production, as any other position will be a complete waste of their design (hence the sweet spot).
DJChrisB
quote:

Yeah, for the purposes of home DJing it's not that big of a deal. When you start playing in clubs, you'll want a decent set of speakers poitioned like studio monitors would be so you can clearly hear what you are mixing over what is being played out the loudspeakers. But for now, just have fun with it.
Fledz
quote:
Originally posted by DJChrisB
Yeah, for the purposes of home DJing it's not that big of a deal. When you start playing in clubs, you'll want a decent set of speakers poitioned like studio monitors would be so you can clearly hear what you are mixing over what is being played out the loudspeakers. But for now, just have fun with it.

Oh no doubt about it at all. The better the positioning is then I'm sure it's better for the DJ, but what I'm saying is don't get too stressed about it. Positioning isn't crucial for a home setup :)
DJChrisB
quote:
Oh no doubt about it at all. The better the positioning is then I'm sure it's better for the DJ, but what I'm saying is don't get too stressed about it. Positioning isn't crucial for a home setup :)

Agreed :)
Allen Mueller
Positioning may not be crutial, but it is a way to offer a significant inprovment in sound for no or little cost. You can change the sound dramatically just with placment. Experiment and see what sounds best in your room. Most recomend an equalateral triangle with the tweeters at ear level for nearfield monitoring.

allen
Jarvmeister
Mine are at head height, pointing towards me inwardly, about 1.5 - 2 feet away from me, and BEHIND me.

I chose this position for them because I didn't like it when they were facing me because the sound bounced off the wall behind me, and I felt that created inaccuracies in my mixing.

Of course if you are mixing in a club or at some other venue you cannot aford to be fussy, but since I have no intention of ever doing so this is not a factor to me.....

Jarv
DJ RANN
It's only a home set up, but monitors behind you are a bad idea (apart from necessary in 5.1 etc). The ear is minutely designed to focus sounds from in front better than from behind.

Much as I hate quoting the wiki...

OUTER EAR

You will not hear frequencies properly from behind (caused by arrival time delays, phase cancellation etc.), but as I said for a home set up does it matter?

Also, 1.5 foot seems very close especially if you ever play at high volumes.

cookiekn
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
It's only a home set up, but monitors behind you are a bad idea (apart from necessary in 5.1 etc). The ear is minutely designed to focus sounds from in front better than from behind.

Much as I hate quoting the wiki...

OUTER EAR

You will not hear frequencies properly from behind (caused by arrival time delays, phase cancellation etc.), but as I said for a home set up does it matter?

Also, 1.5 foot seems very close especially if you ever play at high volumes.

so what do you reckon then mate? what would be classed as ideal?
necodo
i've been working on my studio for production but I can impart:

-position speakers within 2 feet of your head... you should face them :)
-speakers shouldn't be more than 2 feet away from your walls! 1-2 feet is optimal

thats for production in mind, with dj'in all you really need is to be able to feel it :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement