return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
comes down to this
View this Thread in Original format
dutas
I did a lot of research around the forums what gear to get for a beginnerand it comes down to this!

2x cdj 800mk2 & djm 800 or
2x cdj1000mk3 & djm 400 or
2x cdj 800mk2 $ xone92

thats all i can spend, what you think i should get?
mhinnen
I would go with the two 800's and a djm 800. That way if you every want to add turntables you have a 4ch mixer. As well you could use two of the chanels for the cdj's and then the other to with ableton if your into that. As well the 800 has a digital in so you can use the digital out on the cdjs. The 800 also has a ton of effects which the 400 dosnt have.....well not as many at least. I personally would rather have an 800 over the 92 because of the effects. The 92 has great filters but the 800 has so much more
Trance Nutter
theres no real need for a bedroom dj (especially so a beginner) to get CDJ-1000's, so the 800's should be the choice there.

As for mixers, well those ones are all pretty good so its going to be a personal choice for you. Go somewhere and have a twiddle on them to see if you like the feel of one or another. Also decide whether you need effects on your mixer, if you do that rules out the Xone but for a beginner I'd say you don't.
Also look at the Ecler Nuo-5.
In a bedroom the sound quality difference between a Xone and DJM (and probably the Nuo as well) will be negligble, besides they're all pretty sweet sounding mixers so you won't be missing out terribly if you go one way or another. The only real way to split them would be on effects vs filters, decide which you need, or on feel which is personal.

I wouldn't bother with the DJM-400 if you have the ability to get an 800, Xone, Nuo5.

Mixers are probably the most personal thing (apart from headphones) in a dj set up, its pretty important to get one that you are comfortable with so if you have the ability you should check them out for yourself.
Neo Hacker
I got 2xCDJ800MK2 and a Xone:92. I prefer the Xone:92 to the DJM800, mostly because the Xone:92 has awesome filters and is more a studio mixer. But again, DJM800 vs Xone:92 is an endless debate. Do some research on that in this forum.
miamitranceman
800 mk2s and DJm 800 hands down. Most bang for buck there.
dutas
thanks for your input guys,looks like im leaning toward pair of 800mk2 & djm800 as for headphones most likely hdj 1000
Neo Hacker
Honestly, did you try the mixer first ? I was gonna get the DJM800 but then I tried it and much prefered the Xone...this is a lot of money, I'd say give it a try first.
dutas
quote:
Originally posted by Neo Hacker
Honestly, did you try the mixer first ? I was gonna get the DJM800 but then I tried it and much prefered the Xone...this is a lot of money, I'd say give it a try first.

I went to guitar center and try djm 800,they didnt have xone92 thought
dutas
quote:

why did you choose xone over 800?
Neo Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by dutas
why did you choose xone over 800?

quote:
I prefer the Xone:92 to the DJM800, mostly because the Xone:92 has awesome filters and is more a studio mixer.

;) I was a sound tech for many years and I'm use to studio mixers. And I like the Filters on the Xone + the 4 EQs knobs. I prefer the feel of the Xone over the DJM. But this is a personal choice.

basilisk
Why bother with the 800s at all? Their pitch resolution sucks. Invest the funds in a good mixer that you will keep with you no matter what, and go with the 200s. That's my advice anyhow.
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by basilisk
Why bother with the 800s at all? Their pitch resolution sucks. Invest the funds in a good mixer that you will keep with you no matter what, and go with the 200s. That's my advice anyhow.

Do the maths, an error of 0.05% (the 800mk2 accuracy) on a 130 bpm song will be a slip of 0.065 beats per minute.

So its all, wouldn't be noticable for at least a couple of minutes or even longer (I doubt a track being 0.1 of a beat off the other would stand out).
The pitch slider on a 200 also wouldn't be long enough to give you the resolution to be able to change the pitch of a track by 0.02% if it were slightly out, chances are with the 200 you're going to be more than 0.04% out at any one time anyway.

If you can't beatmatch with an 0.05% accuracy, its you not the machine.

I'd gladly go for an 0.05% accuracy with that vinyl emulation and/or big jog wheel (however you have it setup) than the little CDJ-200 jog wheel where you're locked into CDJ mode.

**EDIT
Actually I wrote that in a hurry cos I had to run off to a meeting, but I realised (when I was supposed to be listening during my meeting) that I made a mistake with the maths.

The furthest you can get from a particular bpm due to pitch accuracy alone is half of the accuracy. Any more than that and its due to human error cos you can get closer. So the furthest you can be from a particular bpm using a CDJ with 0.05% is 0.025%, so actually its half of the numbers I said above.

After 1 minute using an 0.05% deck at 130bpm you will be 0.031 of a beat off, after 2 minutes 0.0625 of a beat off.
Which is definitely all and not something to get overly worried about.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement