return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
External Sound Card for Ableton
View this Thread in Original format
tartanxtra
Im looking for a sound card for my laptop which can give me 2 stereo outputs.

Im on a budget, so anybody any ideas on which make and model to get?
Tarpex
Define your budget ;)
tartanxtra
well under £100 or 150 euros
DJChrisB
Sometimes you can find Final Scratch 2 hardware for super cheap if its used. (Check craigslist.) A lot of people don't know, but you can install it as a standard ASIO sound card. I use it with Ableton and it works great!
adder
thanks for asking, I too, would like to know what you guys recommend. All the external usb sound cards I've seen are lots of $$$, the final scratch hardware sounds possible, are there any other options (within the $200ish range)?
DjWoody
I have the M-Audio Firewire 410.
Max Thomson
Presonus Firebox or any of the echo firewire/pcmcia cards

the m-audio stuff is cheap and great if you can get it to work but forget it if you have a dell laptop or a firewire controller that isn't made by Texas Instruments
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by Max Thomson
Presonus Firebox or any of the echo firewire/pcmcia cards

the m-audio stuff is cheap and great if you can get it to work but forget it if you have a dell laptop or a firewire controller that isn't made by Texas Instruments

+1 Firebox works well.
Ryan0751
Hmm... is 2 stereo out really enough for you? One for main ableton out and one for preview/cue I assume? If you ever decide to route your audio into a mixer, you'll probably want more like 4.

The Motu Ultralite is very nice, but it's way out of your budget.

If your laptop has Firewire, definitely think about going that route. Lower latency and you'll have less issues down the road with your other USB devices like MIDI controllers and such (trust me on this one, USB can be a big pain with audio if you attempt to share the bus with anything else).

quote:
Originally posted by tartanxtra
Im looking for a sound card for my laptop which can give me 2 stereo outputs.

Im on a budget, so anybody any ideas on which make and model to get?
Drake44444
quote:

The Motu Ultralite is very nice, but it's way out of your budget.

yeah someday i hope it will be within my budget

Beatflux
I have a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile and it has two stereo outputs. I got it off of Ebay for 94 USD. The only problem with it is that the output switch selector cue button and the cue knob do not work. I tried to get help from M-Audio and I gave up after doing a bunch of different things. It still works fine for me in Ableton. You have to be careful with firewire because it can damage your computer.
wesleysnipez
Been using Motu Ultralite and works great but price was a little high.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement