return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

DJ Competition
View this Thread in Original format
Great Outdoors
Alright guys, I have signed up for a DJ Mix competition organised by a local magazine, got kind of excited, then got THIS in my mail:

"Are you sick and tired of being a lounge room legend like Koop from Human Traffic whose mad skillz are
appreciated only those who live within earshot of you? Would you rather be an international uber-star
like David Morales from real life who is regularly showered in adulation and free DJ gear? Well fret no
more, the DJ QUEST is giving you the chance to live the life, score some gear and get one step
closer tothe world touring/celebrity spouse having/bathing in champagne future you deserve.

Just send a mixtape, any style, with beat mixing, juggling, scratching, (whatever you can put together
with a couple of turntables and a mixer), no longer to fifteen minutes to us at and we may be
inviting you to play at the Juicy Beats finals in June in front ofour prestigious panel of judges and the
staff and a sea of beat-hungry revellers. In the finals, you are required to perform a 20-minute set
which contains at least seven minutes of digital wizardry using a Pioneer CDJ.

Prizes include the latestPioneer CDJand heaps of other cool stuff – all that we ask is that entrants are
over 18 years of age and not playing regular paid gigs. Too easy!"

15 fuggin' minutes! What kind of a "journey" can you hope to create with this one? Man, I don't even know if I can squeeze in 2 decent transitions in my mix before the judges say "time's up"!

I think this one would be more for turntablists than for trance DJs. In any case I've never played around with a CD deck before so in the unlikely event that I win this one I would have to play around with the CDJ which I won't even know how to use.

Should I join?
Dj Thy
What did you think, that you would get 2 hours.
Most mixing competitions will grant you 15-20 minutes to show your skills (in turntablism that's 5-6 minutes). Why do they do that?
Mainly to check on your technique. It's easier to get a perfect beatmatch if you let the tunes play out completely. They probably want to see if you can beatmatch fast and accurately. You should be able to fit 4-5 tunes in this time though.

Yeah of course, it's impossible to build a journey in the proper term in 15 minutes, but most of the time, you'll have to take over from the guy before you (well at least all the competitions I did worked that way, you got penalized when you weren't able to make a decent mix over the tune from your predecessor, that way they could probably immediately check if you prepared a set or are just mixing on the fly). But it's still possible to build kind of a mini-journey.

Most importantly, be original, but only do it if you are sure you can do it and are sure it sounds good. It's better to skip a trick than to try it and fail miserably...

As for the CDJ, the difference with TT's isn't THAT big. But if you feel unsure, feel free to visit www.pioneerprodj.com and go to the product description pages of the cdj's, the manuals are there for reading :D
ingentis
indeed, its about fast mixng not a journey.. 1 more freaking day till i have my tables back.....
skywarp
You can lay down at least 4-5 tracks within 15 min time, even with Trance. Creativity is what counts there, not just blending the outro of one track into the intro of the next. Pick some tracks that aren't just all screeching synth lines and work with those.
Dj Thy
Harmonic mixing seems to do it very good lately. Try to find tunes that match in chords with each other, always impresses the judges :D
hapamoto
or pull some break beat remixes off some of your trance vinyls.. if u got any..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement