return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Any super internet / computer geeks out there? Part deux
View this Thread in Original format
_Ocean_Drive_
I deleted the original thread because now a more important problem has cropped up!

My internet connection has suddenly gone uber slow.

I'm on a wireless internet connection. The wireless router is daisy-chained from the modem, so it's acting purely as DHCP.

Even when I plug my laptop directly into the modem, the speed is still slow. This just happened suddenly. I've run virus scans, adaware, registry mechanic, Advanced Windows Personal Care etc. System is apparently running a-ok.

It was working fine, and now everything crawls to not more than 7k/s download, most of the time it's less than this.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening? It also has the same speeds in Navigator, so it's not just IE...

Thanks in advance!
The Arbiter
Without being there its impossible to tell. Some ISP's limit your connection when you hit their bandwidth limit. That possibly? Other-wise it could be anything from malicious software downloading in the background to the exchange being attacked by neo-facist aliens.
_Ocean_Drive_
quote:
Originally posted by The Arbiter
Without being there its impossible to tell. Some ISP's limit your connection when you hit their bandwidth limit. That possibly? Other-wise it could be anything from malicious software downloading in the background to the exchange being attacked by neo-facist aliens.

I reckon the latter. Failing that, is there a decent piece of freeware I can use that monitors what's going on?

I doubt I've exceeded my monthly allowance, even if I have one that is. I'm on a 50 meg ADSL line...
Omega_M
quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
I deleted the original thread because now a more important problem has cropped up!

How are they related ?
KilldaDJ
some happy cracker is haxing ur wireless :wtf:
gehzumteufel
quote:
I reckon the latter. Failing that, is there a decent piece of freeware I can use that monitors what's going on?

I doubt I've exceeded my monthly allowance, even if I have one that is. I'm on a 50 meg ADSL line...

you in japan? sounds like it

you said your on a wi-fi. what sort of security do you have set on it?
THE_Chris
www.pingplotter.com should give you some form of info anyway.

Ensure the wireless router has WPA encryption on, someone might be leeching.
Boomer187
what did your ISP say when you called them?
Dervish
I'd check the ISP website to check for faults.
_Ocean_Drive_
Thanks for the responses. It's not a security issue as I've got WEP encryption on with a passkey etc, and my router says I'm the only machine using the connection. I'm going to call my ISP up this evening and find out what's going on...

If you have any more ideas / nifty apps, let me know!

Thanks!

EDIT: Just replaced the RJ-11 cable going from the modem to the phone socket, seems to have helped things...

Turbonium
quote:
It's not a security issue as I've got WEP encryption

lawl...

When you got WEP encryption, it's a security issue...
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by Turbonium
lawl...

When you got WEP encryption, it's a security issue...

haha seriously.

ocean: get a WPA2 capable wifi card and router.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement