return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
<review> My First Night @ Vanguard..... Boy, Do I Have A Lot To Learn
View this Thread in Original format
DjWoody
---- VIDEOS ----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXm0BEM8KBg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pokvxhi5ixs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOxawW1OleU

---- REVIEW ----
What up peeps... First off, the videos below are from the main room.

Anyhow, last night was my first night @ Vanguard. And Boy, do I have a lot to learn. DJ Splyce was on the main room, I was on the NEW VIP Room (The Front), and I have no idea who was on the other rooms. But all the DJ's I saw we're pretty much world class, or near world class except me. :(

Splyce was tearing it up, but he was clipping hard!!! How did he make a million dollar Funktion One sound system sound distorted? I have no clue. But either way, he was good.

In my room I had two guest DJ's, and they were rocking. They were playing mostly Indie & Electro. Really impressed by them. I was playing house all night. But the crowd was feeling the indie/electro more than my house. :( My set was all over the place. I wasn't prepared for a house set. I was told I to do spanish rock, but when I got there, the Vanguard's manager said NO LATIN. So I played house instead.

I had a couple people come up and tell me they liked my music better than the main room (DJ Splyce was playing), which that made me feel good. But boy, was I jealous I wasn't in the main room. Their production was amazing. They change it every week, and by far, this week was the best I’ve seen.

So I learned I gotta redefine my sound. The Hollywood crowd is way different than the crowd I’m used to. So I have a lot of homework to do. Hehe I wasn’t completely disappointed with my set, but I wasn’t blown away either. At least I didn’t clear my room. Well, I did, nearly at 2am. But they told me that was normal. Even then, I went to the main room, that room was clearing too. So I don’t feel that bad.

Oh and the staff was AMAZING! The friendliest staff I have ever worked with. The coat check girl was really friendly too. Oh yeah, the room I played at is being worked on. Completely remodeled, and we have a temporary L-Acoustics sound system that rocks!!! I love that system. So while they build the DJ Booth, they put in the coat-check room! Lol. That was fine with me, cause I got to talk to the coat-check girl all night. Haha

The Setup I had was pretty high end. They set me up with a Xone 92 Mixer, which I learned to dislike last night and made me appreciate my DJM800. YES, I said it. Let the flaming begin. Hahaha They also set me up with 2 CDJ 1000’s and a JBL EON Monitor. The production manager was really cool. He gave me his card and told me to call him during the week so he can set up the system however I want it next week. WOW, That has never happened to me. Somebody actually cared about my set up! Hehehe

Overall it was a good night. I had fun, and I was buzzed for a while. Can’t wait til next week.
echosystm
quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
The coat check girl was really friendly too.

token wang sucker, every club has one. go for gold sonny.
miamitranceman
Hey man, it sounded like a fine first night. Not even close to a disaster. Hope it only gets better for ya!
a.chan
Sounds like you had a really good experience... i'm still waiting to be legal age :o
Oreoh142
Yeah looks like it was an awesome event
T-Soma
quote:
Originally posted by a.chan
Sounds like you had a really good experience... i'm still waiting to be legal age :o

What does that have to do with djing at an overage club?... hehe :D
Sukhoi29SU
Dude congrats. That sounds like a really fun awesome night. I'm just starting the whole DJ thing but hope to get good enough some day to just play in a club or something. Good luck with the coat check girl
djkoolaide
quote:
Originally posted by a.chan

Naw dude, I'm 18 and I currently hold a residency at two 21+ clubs and one 18+ club... anything is possible.
Oreoh142
quote:
Originally posted by djkoolaide
Naw dude, I'm 18 and I currently hold a residency at two 21+ clubs and one 18+ club... anything is possible.
yeah...can you please tell me how you did this?
djkoolaide
quote:
Originally posted by Oreoh142
yeah...can you please tell me how you did this?

Just gotta know the right people, know how to deal with club owners (I learned the hard way that they are NOT like normal employers), but most of all you've gotta have something to offer; if you just do normal mixing and beatmatching like every other DJ on the planet, no owner will see a reason for you to be there.

Make a demo, but be sure to record it like you're playing at a club! Also, know the club you're trying to get into. If they are a high energy dance club, cater your demo to that. If it's a lounge/bar, you don't want to play the most bangin' ch00nz of your collection.

But really, don't be afraid to just offer to play a night (or even an opening set). Don't expect to get paid right away, because you won't. But that gets your foot in the door, and if you do well, you are going to be the guy they call when the normal DJ can't make it.

PM me if you'd like...I don't claim to be an expert about this at all (I've only been in this business for 4 months), but if I went from playing to my bedroom wall to holding 3 residencies (and getting booked for private gigs on the side), either I'm just lucky or I must be doing something right.

miamitranceman
Living in Iowa probably helps too. :toothless
djkoolaide
quote:
Originally posted by miamitranceman
Living in Iowa probably helps too. :toothless

Haha, I was going to write something about that...it definitely is true, but you'd actually be surprised at the nightlife in Des Moines. Don't get me wrong, as soon as you get outside of the metro area, Iowa is probably one of the tiest states ever, but it's not as bad as you may think.

But yeah, I won't disagree :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement