return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Apple Issues
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Santino
Whats up guys, I've had a PC forever and just switched to a mac platform to start producing and using for music and im somewhat still mac illiterate lol. Can anyone tell me the programs I need or what I need to do to start recording onto the mac from my mixer for making demos and how or what program to use to cut the mix. I was using cool edit pro, nero, and soundforge before and am lost now on this mac. ALso what are some "apple" based program used to "find" new music because as of right now im stuck with just beatport. PM me if you can help with that. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks
Don
Vero
garageband for recording and editing. ssx is a good program for finding and previewing tunes before you buy them.
DJ Santino
I tryed usin garageband to record but when i have the mixer connected to the input of the computer it sounds distorted as hell!
i got big pants
you arent going into the mic-in, right???
DjWoody
Which Mac do you own?

I record all my live sets with my MacBook and I do all my editing on a MacPro (Desktop).

WHAT YOU NEED...
1.- Y-Adapter (1/8 to RCA)
2.- Audio HiJack Pro ($29 www.AudioHijack.com)--- I found that this is the best software to record live sets, because... A> No length limitations like other programs. B> Records directly to MP3. C> Saves in Real Time as it's recording... C is a HUGE ONE for me because if my computer ever crashes during a recording, my recording is SAVED until the crash. With other programs you have to save when you're done recording.

ADJUSTING YOUR SETTINGS...
Before you can start recording, you need to adjust your sound card settings on you Mac. Otherwise, it will sound distorted. I'm assuming you're going to use the built in Sound Car.

1.- Go to the BLUE APPLE MENU on the top left.
2.- Select SYSTEM PREFERENCES.
3.- CLICK ON SOUND.
4.- SELECT INPUT.
5.- Device should be LINE IN - AUDIO LINE-IN PORT
6.- INPUT VOLUME should be all the way to the left (as low as possible).

HOW TO RECORD...
1.- Use a Y-Adapter (1/8 to RCA)
2.- REC OUT from my mixer to LINE IN on my MacBook.
3.- Launch Audio HiJack.
4.- From the left menu, select LINE IN.
5.- Click HIJACK.
6.- Select MUTE (so you won't hear it on your computer speakers as you're recording)
7.- Click Record.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:toothless
Vero
quote:
Originally posted by i got big pants
you arent going into the mic-in, right???

macs dont have mic in, only line in.
Ryan0751
I actually don't care for garageband for recording mixes, but it does work.

There's also the freeware "Audacity", which is more of a straight up audio editor than garageband.

I use this:
Sound Studio Pro

It's not free, but it's a nice polished application.

For burning, I use Roxio's Toast. It's much nicer on the Mac than Roxio's offerings on Windows.

You can of course also burn CD's in iTunes.

If you need to print CD labels, check out this program:
DiscLabel

quote:
Originally posted by Vero
garageband for recording and editing. ssx is a good program for finding and previewing tunes before you buy them.
DjWoody
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan0751
I actually don't care for garageband for recording mixes, but it does work.

There's also the freeware "Audacity", which is more of a straight up audio editor than garageband.

I use this:
Sound Studio Pro

Hell yeah! I use it too. I LOVE IT! I use it for almost anything that needs audio editing.

:toothless
DJ Santino
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm going to try and set everything up tonight. I can also cut mixes on toast too right?
DjWoody
I use Sound Studio for that. You can set markers, than SPLIT USING MARKERS. You don't get little annoying skip other programs give you

Ryan0751
Yep, then you can burn those using Toast... or iTunes, but toast is nicer. You have to turn off the space between markers in either program to get a nice seemless mix.

quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
I use Sound Studio for that. You can set markers, than SPLIT USING MARKERS. You don't get little annoying skip other programs give you
sean5
can you still return it? if so, i would recommend that.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement