return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
A violent Brazilian film Lira recommends: Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite)
View this Thread in Original format
Lira

Some of you probably remember how much I hate City of God. I do, with passion, and often people asked me whether I could recommend a good film regarding violence in Brazil. Well, here it is: Elite Squad ("Tropa de Elite"1, in Portuguese).

The film is very realistic, and depicts the problem of violence in Rio de Janeiro from a different point of view - that of a policeman, from the Special Police Operations Battalion (that's our SWAT). Based on a semi-fictional book written by a sociologist, it is spot-on when it shows the rationale behind police brutality and how drugs trafficking in Brazil and violence are intrinsically related (this is probably the case in other countries, too, reason why I think foreigners can probably relate to it).

The part I liked the most is the one I experienced first-hand, back when I studied Foreign Affairs in a private institution. There, I witnessed the attitude of upper class students who would often complain about the violence, even though they indirectly sponsored it through drug use. I also liked the way they criticised Foucault's thought, if applied to Brazilian society.

I'm not going to give more details about the plot, but try to watch it if you can - it should be available in American theatres next January2 :)

1. ^ Pronounced "TROP-puh jee Eh-LEE-chee".
  2. ^ Unfortunately, I don't know about the release dates in other countries :(
chach
sympathy post
Krypton
quote:
Originally posted by Lira

Some of you probably remember how much I hate City of God. I do, with passion, and often people asked me whether I could recommend a good film regarding violence in Brazil. Well, here it is: Elite Squad ("Tropa de Elite"1, in Portuguese).

The film is very realistic, and depicts the problem of violence in Rio de Janeiro from a different point of view - that of a policeman, from the Special Police Operations Battalion (that's our SWAT). Based on a semi-fictional book written by a sociologist, it is spot-on when it shows the rationale behind police brutality and how drugs trafficking in Brazil and violence are intrinsically related (this is probably the case in other countries, too, reason why I think foreigners can probably relate to it).

The part I liked the most is the one I experienced first-hand, back when I studied Foreign Affairs in a private institution. There, I witnessed the attitude of upper class students who would often complain about the violence, even though they indirectly sponsored it through drug use. I also liked the way they criticised Foucault's thought, if applied to Brazilian society.

I'm not going to give more details about the plot, but try to watch it if you can - it should be available in American theatres next January2 :)

1. ^ Pronounced "TROP-puh jee Eh-LEE-chee".
  2. ^ Unfortunately, I don't know about the release dates in other countries :(

No government can stamp out supply and demand economics at work. The mafia will just take over the commerce from legal entities. Awesome stuff though. Does Brazil have gangsta music like the US?..:D
iammesol
quote:
Originally posted by chach
sympathy post

:haha:
Danny Ocean
so city of god is bull? kids dont kill like that?
SuspicionVandit

quote:
Michel Misse, a researcher for Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, in an interview to Carta Capital, tried to explain why Capitão Nascimento is cheered: "as the judiciary system cannot keep up with the demand for punishment, some may think civil rights leads to unpunishment. And then, they want illegal solutions. That's why Capitão Nascimento is called".

looks interesting enough
The Master
Lira, I hope you ever have the chance to watch a film called "La Sierra". It is a shocking documentary with no music, no acting, only 2 hours of straight footage that will enlighten you about the actual daily conflict going on in Medellin, Colombia.

You can download a trailer HERE (Rated R!)
Lira
I'm going to check it out, Master, cheers :)

(I can't watch the trailer right now :()
quote:
Originally posted by Krypton
No government can stamp out supply and demand economics at work. The mafia will just take over the commerce from legal entities. Awesome stuff though. Does Brazil have gangsta music like the US?..:D

Yeah, there's some, but it doesn't seem to be as popular as in the US for some reason. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with quality, that's for sure :p
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Ocean
so city of god is bull? kids dont kill like that?

That's not the reason why I don't like that film. It's just banal, and romanticised violence in such a way that it achieved no actual goal. It didn't raise awareness, it didn't help explain the system from a broader perspective, it did nothing really.

I've got nothing against blockbusters, but when capitalism exploits misery for entertainment's sake... well, I just can't approve any of that.
quote:
Originally posted by SuspicionVandit

looks interesting enough

Yeah, some researchers are now trying to learn why it is that Captain Nascimento is seen as a hero in Brazil. The director said he had not seen it coming, and is equally surprised.

I agree with Misse, reason why I actually thought Nascimento was supposed to be a "good guy" :p
d-miurge
I love "Cidade de deus". Is it in the same vein (artistically-speaking)?
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by d-miurge
I love "Cidade de deus". Is it in the same vein (artistically-speaking)?

Hmmmm... kind of. Whereas Cidade de Deus was an artsy portrait of suburban Rio (with special FX and nice photography), this one is far more realistic and raw.

It's as if you were there watching all the events unfolding in front of you.

nchs09
i actually hate everything that is brazilian :o
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by nchs09
i actually hate everything that is brazilian :o

You're just jealous because you're Mexican :mad:

:p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement