return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

My Counterweights
View this Thread in Original format
P`zazz
This Actualy Happened About 3 Weeks Ago, Just Thought It Would Be Nice To Hear What Your Opinion Is On This Matter. Only A Few Days After Purchasing My Stanton TTs, I Noticed That @ 2.5 Grams On The Counterweight, One Needle Would Skip And The Other Would Not. I Was Expiramenting 24/7 For Two Days On Them And It Seemed That One Counterweight's 0 Point Was Further Back From The Other's. I Was Scared To Death Thinking My Brand New TTs Where Defective, But As I Figured Out @ The End One Cartridge Is Heavier Than The Other, So One TT Needs 2.5g Counterweight And The Other 3.5g. Is This Normal? I Mean Both Cartridges With Their Headshells Are Identical.
Dj Thy
Hmm are you sure you zeroed your weights?
How to do that?
Well first be sure the arm can move freely (so it shouldn't be retained by the lock). Now decrease the weight up to that point where the tonearm will float completely parallel to the platter.
You might have noticed already that the little black ring with the numbers on can be turned independantly from the rest of the weight. Well, once you found that point where the arm "floats", you adjust that black number ring (and only that ring, without actually changing the weight) that way the 0 corresponds to the marking on the tonearm.
When you have done that, your weight is zeroed, and only then can you have an accurate reading of the weight.

Because if you're telling both the carts are the same (and presuming they are installed the same way) the 0g point should be the same also.

Try this, and report back if you have more questions :)
P`zazz
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Thy
Hmm are you sure you zeroed your weights?
How to do that?
Well first be sure the arm can move freely (so it shouldn't be retained by the lock). Now decrease the weight up to that point where the tonearm will float completely parallel to the platter.
You might have noticed already that the little black ring with the numbers on can be turned independantly from the rest of the weight. Well, once you found that point where the arm "floats", you adjust that black number ring (and only that ring, without actually changing the weight) that way the 0 corresponds to the marking on the tonearm.
When you have done that, your weight is zeroed, and only then can you have an accurate reading of the weight.

Because if you're telling both the carts are the same (and presuming they are installed the same way) the 0g point should be the same also.

Try this, and report back if you have more questions :)

I Am Positive I Am Doing This Correct, I Have Done It Tens Of Times Over And Over Again Just To Make Sure. Plus I Switched The Headshells With The Decks And The Same Thing Happens On Opposite Decks Some The Only Thing This Can Mean Is That There Is SOmething Wrong With One Of The Headshells/Cartridges. You Think I Should Change My Cartridges ???
Jah
just a thought... maybe one of your headshells has the extra weight installed and the other doesnt (that little bit of weight in between the cartridge and the headshell that comes with the carts...)
P`zazz
quote:
Originally posted by Jah
just a thought... maybe one of your headshells has the extra weight installed and the other doesnt (that little bit of weight in between the cartridge and the headshell that comes with the carts...)

Hmmm, I Wasn't Aware Of This, I'll Check And I'll Let You Know. Thanx For Responding PPL.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement