return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Woohoo... Live 7 and Reason rock!
View this Thread in Original format
Ryan0751
Just picked up the Live 7 upgrade yesterday, and I must say the new "External Instrument" device totally rocks.

With Live 6, you had to have two Ableton tracks for every device rewired from Reason to Ableton... one for the audio coming in from Reason, and one for the MIDI clips in Ableton feeding the device in Reason.

With "External Instrument" on a MIDI track in Ableton, they handle the audio and MIDI in one track. So the track behaves much like a VST. Very nice indeedy.

And Thor is really cool. Need to dig a lot deeper, but so far I'm impressed.
G-Con
but have they solved the sync issues with Reason and live? Until now if you used VST's in Live in the same session as using Reason rewired then Reason would be out of sync. Only way around this was to use the Reason sequencer for the Reason midi.

Has this been fixed now in Live 7?
Ryan0751
I've read that the external instrument device does do something better with synchronization...

You can also freeze the track, so that would help as well.

quote:
Originally posted by G-Con
but have they solved the sync issues with Reason and live? Until now if you used VST's in Live in the same session as using Reason rewired then Reason would be out of sync. Only way around this was to use the Reason sequencer for the Reason midi.

Sean Walsh
quote:

I don't use Reason with Live, but I was reading on the ableton forums that this specific issue is automatically resolved in 7 with the new external device machine, so yes.
farris
Won't be upgrading anytime soon. I just can't justify paying 99 euro for something that doesn't bring really great improvements (for me). Some may have seen my wishlist (and I think some are highly requested points from a lot of people). None of the items I had on the list have been addressed. Hopefully within a year, give or take, they'll present Live 8 with at least some of them. Until then I'll happily stay with Live 6.
Anyone already upgraded or intending to upgrade soon?

- farris
Ryan0751
I figured the audio engine improvements were worth it...
G-Con
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Walsh
I don't use Reason with Live, but I was reading on the ableton forums that this specific issue is automatically resolved in 7 with the new external device machine, so yes.

Quality, think I will have to upgrade then
Sean Walsh
quote:
Originally posted by farris
Won't be upgrading anytime soon. I just can't justify paying 99 euro for something that doesn't bring really great improvements (for me). Some may have seen my wishlist (and I think some are highly requested points from a lot of people). None of the items I had on the list have been addressed. Hopefully within a year, give or take, they'll present Live 8 with at least some of them. Until then I'll happily stay with Live 6.
Anyone already upgraded or intending to upgrade soon?

- farris

I upgraded, mostly because I wanted tension and drum machines. I also enjoy spending money, so it was a natural fit =P

Haven't done anything with it yet aside from work on a project that I brought over from Live 6, so can't really offer much in the way of an argument to do the same. Tension is very very nice though, you can get some absurd sounds of it and I've barely scratched the surface. Analog seems good too, but I have a virus so it's kinda pointless for me.
asdfg
quote:

this issue can easily be resolved in previous versions of live by turning off delay compensation under the options menu, unless you need it enabled for other hardware/effects ofcourse :p
Fledz
Yea man it rocks! I'm tempted to get Reason 4 now :P

G-Con
quote:
Originally posted by asdfg
this issue can easily be resolved in previous versions of live by turning off delay compensation under the options menu, unless you need it enabled for other hardware/effects ofcourse :p

I'm pretty sure that you cn't do that if you are using other VST's as well...
ponsshin
I'm kinda dissapointed by Live 7. I was hoping for more. I don't have any hardware VST's or anything so External Instrument are useless for me.

The new instruments are not that innovative and Operator is really the same as in Live 6.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement