return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Stupid n00b Question
View this Thread in Original format
Audious
Okay, I may have the idea of this all wrong, but, I believe I have beat matching down. And I'll phrase my question as a scenario.

Vinyl #1 is spinning at regular pitch.
Vinyl #2 is coming in spinning +2.

You successfully mix in Vinyl #2 and are getting rid of Vinyl #1. As soon as Vinyl #1 is gone, do you slow down Vinyl #2 or not? If so, how do you do it without it sounding like ass?
skip
quote:
Originally posted by Audious
Okay, I may have the idea of this all wrong, but, I believe I have beat matching down. And I'll phrase my question as a scenario.

You successfully mix in Vinyl #2 and are getting rid of Vinyl #1. As soon as Vinyl #1 is gone, do you slow down Vinyl #2 or not? If so, how do you do it without it sounding like ass?

you don't have to slow it down, actually there's no reason for it at all (unless you know that your next tune will be even slower so it'd be easier to match or if you want to bring the tempo down for some reason). but normally there is no need to play the tracks at their 0% pitch.

edit: also, when making pitch adjustments on tracks that are playing it's better to do them over a long period of time or then quickly when the breakdown starts or stops or at some point where it isn't easily noticed. i generally do it slowly over a period of time because unless you are changing it back to 0% where the click is it might be kinda hard to get it to exactly where you want it in a blink of an eye.
Audious
quote:
Originally posted by skip
you don't have to slow it down, actually there's no reason for it at all (unless you know that your next tune will be even slower so it'd be easier to match or if you want to bring the tempo down for some reason). but normally there is no need to play the tracks at their 0% pitch.

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
CSB
yeah i dont really change the pitch once the track is spun. Don't see why you need to
Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Audious

The answer is the +2 will sound out of tone.

vinyl use cdj/laptop and keylock

also 2BPM (more like 2.7) is a lot to change during one tune. I'm talking about a 7 minute tune here...(even then I'd only do it with certain songs... and only in the up direction) so it'd be very extreme with a 1 minute tune. So in this situation unless you have some really good reason for it I wouldn't recomend it.
Audious
quote:
Originally posted by Darkarbiter

also 2BPM (more like 2.7) is a lot to change during one tune. I'm talking about a 7 minute tune here...(even then I'd only do it with certain songs... and only in the up direction) so it'd be very extreme with a 1 minute tune. So in this situation unless you have some really good reason for it I wouldn't recomend it.

So pretty much try to mix in tracks that aren't as different in BPM?
Stu Cox
quote:

Only to people with perfect pitch, of which there aren't that many in the world and I'm sure they can get over it.

However, if you're referring to two tracks you're mixing being 2% out of tune with each other, that's a whole different problem altogether and bringing tracks back to 0 after you've mixed them isn't going to do anything for you.

quote:

I personally believe (and most people I've talked to agree with me on this) that keylock on CDJs (aka master tempo) still isn't of good enough quality these days to really worth bothering with... it sounds ok within about +/-2%, but within +/-1% you don't really need it anyway, giving you a very small margin within which it's actually any use.

On software like Ableton, however, it is a lot better, although you do lose an element of the sound quality, it's not as noticeable as the results of master tempo on a CDJ.
Alex
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
On software like Ableton, however, it is a lot better, although you do lose an element of the sound quality, it's not as noticeable as the results of master tempo on a CDJ.

Sadly you're right.

With Ableton there is some loss of quality when it comes to that, but sometimes it isn't noticeable at all, actually I'd say most of the time it isn't.

But on those rare occasions where you get a track that sounds way too "warped", it can screw a whole lot of up.

And this is coming from an avid Appletr0n user, hehe.

Wait, what the , whenever I spell a word wrong while typing my messages on here it gets underlined in red, yet appletr0n doesn't get underlined, how is that a real word? wtfwtfwtf :whip:
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:

bollocks. keylock's use is limited, and something at +2% will not be out of key unless the next tune is more than +/- 3% of the live track.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement