return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Pages: [1] 2 
Very Interesting Interview!
View this Thread in Original format
Dj Nacht
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=859

Its sad to hear what he has to say about Montreal but its true :( . I still have hope since there seems to be atleast a small minority still pushing the scene!
malek
Its like playing pakistani music and wondering why you can't make a living out of it in Houston.

Seriously, we love his music but there's not enough people into it. Its an european music first and foremost. We're not there yet.
Sean Walsh
quote:
Originally posted by malek
Its like playing pakistani music and wondering why you can't make a living out of it in Houston.

Seriously, we love his music but there's not enough people into it. Its an european music first and foremost. We're not there yet.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

The thing is about Europe is it's so dense. I land in London, take a 2 hour Eurostar and I'm in Brussels, 45 minute train later I'm in Antwerp, 2 hours from there Amsterdam. 3 hours from there, and you'r ein Paris. We're talking 5 *completely* different places a stone-throw away from one another. Take a train for 2 hours from Montreal and where do you end up with a party scene? It's just not really comparable out here.
RayRayy
Mtl is all about the headliners
Spin Laden
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Walsh
Take a train for 2 hours from Montreal and where do you end up with a party scene? It's just not really comparable out here.

that would be Ottawa :toothless

I guess it's all relative. Quebec is far more progressive than rest of Canada at least..
djlemeir
quote:
You would think with the number of after-hours places in Montréal, though...

Well, the problem with the after-hours places in Montréal is that they’re super commercial and don’t give a about the music. Vince tried to have a night in one of those places and after a few times the owner was like, “You and your weird friends...you gotta go.”

its all bull
people have to understand that in order to keep clubs running, you gotta appeal to the mass. and to appeal to the mass u gotta play music that appeals to the mass

a club is a commerce. commerce... commercial... make the connection?
you cant force your music onto people if they dont like it ...
Marcus007
quote:
Originally posted by djlemeir

OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS SO CLEAR NOW! THANK YOU! ;) :P
Endlesswave
quote:
Originally posted by djlemeir
its all bull
people have to understand that in order to keep clubs running, you gotta appeal to the mass. and to appeal to the mass u gotta play music that appeals to the mass

you cant force your music onto people if they dont like it ...

In this country for sure, in say the EU where it was mentioned everything is a stone's throw away it's so easy for people to do whatever the hell they want because there will be a decent enough scene to support it and eventually will grow huge. Oversaturation happens but the underground is on par with it in the EU or even latin america usually. It usually happens where people are more open to things as well which helps.
Allied Nations
two extremes here...

guillaume's music is veryyy off center and the music at "x" supper club is very on point easy commercial music.

the whole trick is to bridging this gap and finding and playing music which is both appealing to the masses, yet musically satisfying.

you don't need to sell out or bury yourself underground- we can all coexist :)
Endlesswave
quote:
Originally posted by Allied Nations
two extremes here...

guillaume's music is veryyy off center and the music at "x" supper club is very on point easy commercial music.

the whole trick is to bridging this gap and finding and playing music which is both appealing to the masses, yet musically satisfying.

you don't need to sell out or bury yourself underground- we can all coexist :)

True enough, but there comes a point where even 'underground' artists reach crazy commercial status then either keep going or just go the complete opposite. Aphex Twin I think had done that.

Allied Nations
quote:
Originally posted by Endlesswave
True enough, but there comes a point where even 'underground' artists reach crazy commercial status then either keep going or just go the complete opposite. Aphex Twin I think had done that.

sure, because he found the right medium, the right style - all at the right time.

sometimes everything just fits

plus a lot of aphex's work isn't easy to listen to at all, the masses just listen to it because he's produced a number of works which reach out beyond any genre borders. he has credibility, he's established.

aphex twin's selected ambient works will not be playing on fm radio anytime soon :p
julien2
Guillaume is right.

The scene sucks.

On the other hand, small market, big distance between the scenes, etc.

Still, even if the scene sucks, even if people are brainless benassi lovers, we are very lucky to have promoters (Mutek, I Love Neon, Piknic, Microzoo, Noerg, Mirrorballs, etc, etc) that give time, MONEY (lots of it) to this scene and make it possible to be one of the hottest places in North America....lightyears away of the european scenes

Thanks guys
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement