return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
practicing dj'ing
View this Thread in Original format
stabmasterflex
i'm just curious how people practice dj'ing. i have a hard time just practicing for hours on end and instead always try for a perfect mix when in fact i probably should be practicing. what are people's techniques for ear training, beat matching, etc... i read somewhere about using two albums with the same song and use the crossfader without headphones to practice but that doesn't cover split-hearing.

T
ThatsMagic
how ever you want really but try recording your mixes good or bad and it will help you pick up on things.

Dont bother with the cross-fader unless your scratching.

I just have a mix for an hour or so, as you get more tunes your sessions will turn into megamixs once and a while.

Dont worry about getting it perfect focus on the beatmatching first then all the EQs will be natural by then.
lawrenceq
pushups and a good nights sleep.

otherwise just try having the volume from the PA system low enough so that u can really focus on whats in the headphones making it easier to teach each ear what particular sound to focus on so that u can judge how to match accordingly. pm me if need be
JD8180
quote:
Originally posted by lawrenceq
otherwise just try having the volume from the PA system low enough so that u can really focus on whats in the headphones making it easier to teach each ear what particular sound to focus on so that u can judge how to match accordingly. pm me if need be

+1

just keep doing mixes and record them, see where and how you are messing up. just keep mixing and eventually it comes to you naturally.
Marcus007
eat poop
Mmanu
And make a video.

There, I said it :rolleyes:

More seriously, practise until the point where you will pick it up. It's also a matter of training your ears and reformat some of your brain cells.. Takes between a month and never..After that, beatmatching is a cake walk. You'll notice, the more you practise, the more you improve, it always adds up, have fun.
DJ Z
may sound odd, but sometimes guys will have a cozy setup at their home desk where they can SIT and mix... do NOT get used to sitting while mixing, the feel is different when u stand. u stand when you mix in public....so practice like u would mix in the real world.

one of the best ways to practice is with a very experienced dj...that dj will teach u more in an hour than u can learn in years by yourself.
Shini
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Z

one of the best ways to practice is with a very experienced dj...that dj will teach u more in an hour than u can learn in years by yourself.

though I think that is true it is more easily said than done, its sometimes really hard in some places to find them, especially one that plays the same or similar music to you.
dutas
I practice 3 times per week,i do like 2 hours session and always record my mixing,when i go to work i listen the mix!
I mean when im working i listen the mix.
Dojomaster26
+1 to what everyone else has said. I record my mixes, then play them back, skipping to the transitions to hear how I am doing. Mixes with mistakes on them end up being deleted, and others might be burned onto CDs for car listening.

I'm having a problem with my mixes however. I've gotten to the point where I'm making an error about once per 90 minutes, but this makes creating a good demo difficult (I can't send out a CD with an error on it!). What have you guys done to get past this hurdle?

Spirit5
quote:
Originally posted by Dojomaster26
+1 to what everyone else has said. I record my mixes, then play them back, skipping to the transitions to hear how I am doing. Mixes with mistakes on them end up being deleted, and others might be burned onto CDs for car listening.

I'm having a problem with my mixes however. I've gotten to the point where I'm making an error about once per 90 minutes, but this makes creating a good demo difficult (I can't send out a CD with an error on it!). What have you guys done to get past this hurdle?

Just make them shorter..that's all. I find your less likely to make a mistake in a shorter mix (45 - 70 minutes) than with a 90 minute mix. Or split it up and take a break...maybe two 45 minute mixes instead.
lawrenceq
i dont agree 100% with recording all the time cos then ur not focusing on ur technique as much as the finished product which is like skipping small steps. seriously just keep practicing without worrying about recording, the more you play and enjoy the more you will learn about ur own style and the improvement of beatmatching will come naturally.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement