return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Internal HDD --> external (USB?)
View this Thread in Original format
nekholm
So the computer at mom's place crashed a while ago (quite a long while actually). The HDD with the OS collapsed, and I had another HDD with music on, which I now would like to transfer to my new laptop. I tried to hook it up to the newer computer they got (old one as well), but the HDD in the new one used SCSI, so I guess that's why it didn't recognise the IDE HDD.

So is there any IDE-USB cable, or something similar? I heard from a guy that one of his friends used to work as some computer-technician, and that he had something that could transfer the contents of an internal HDD to a laptop somehow. Any ideas?

The HDD I want the music from is from a "normal" computer, not a laptop.
BTG
i think it would be just easier to put the HDD with music in a working computer as a slave and transfer it over a network.
nekholm
Yes, but I'm just lazy :) Also I tried once, with some stuff I had on another computer, and I couldn't find the other computers on the network. Can't figure out how to get it working on Vista.
noikeee
Yes, you can buy at any computer hardware store an adaptor that basically turns your IDE drive into an USB external drive. I bought one for the HDD of a laptop that died a while ago. Works fine.

Laptop HDDs and common HDDs have different sizes though, make sure you get an adaptor that fits your drive.
pkcRAISTLIN
never heard of a device like that, but ive never needed one so havent had to search.

just browse online stores in the logical sub-sections.
nekholm
quote:
Originally posted by noikeee
Yes, you can buy at any computer hardware store an adaptor that basically turns your IDE drive into an USB external drive. I bought one for the HDD of a laptop that died a while ago. Works fine.

Laptop HDDs and common HDDs have different sizes though, make sure you get an adaptor that fits your drive.

Nice, have to browse around
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by nekholm
So the computer at mom's place crashed a while ago (quite a long while actually). The HDD with the OS collapsed, and I had another HDD with music on, which I now would like to transfer to my new laptop. I tried to hook it up to the newer computer they got (old one as well), but the HDD in the new one used SCSI, so I guess that's why it didn't recognise the IDE HDD.

So is there any IDE-USB cable, or something similar? I heard from a guy that one of his friends used to work as some computer-technician, and that he had something that could transfer the contents of an internal HDD to a laptop somehow. Any ideas?

The HDD I want the music from is from a "normal" computer, not a laptop.

first off, if the cable fit on the hdd then it wasnt scsi in the first place. and second, if the HD crashed then the hd itself failed and is dead.
Porky
quote:
Originally posted by noikeee

costs $50

i have 2 of them.
Project-K
quote:
Originally posted by gehzumteufel
first off, if the cable fit on the hdd then it wasnt scsi in the first place. and second, if the HD crashed then the hd itself failed and is dead.

He said the master HDD failed, and the music was on the slave.

Wouldn't it be possible to just remove the primary HDD from the boot list, boot from an external drive and just transfer the files from there?
Dervish
You do get em. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...8965&doy=search

gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by Project-K
He said the master HDD failed, and the music was on the slave.

Wouldn't it be possible to just remove the primary HDD from the boot list, boot from an external drive and just transfer the files from there?

oops on that first note

but yes it is possible and very easy too!
nekholm
Allright, I found some. The cheapest is only 15,90€, and looks like this:

The most expensive is 43,90€, but I think the cheap one will do. After all, it's just for one time.

By the way, does it get it's power from the USB or what?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement