return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Naked Cowboy sues Mars
View this Thread in Original format
Zoso
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/14...wboy/index.html

"Well, it seems that Mars Inc., the makers of M&Ms, also knows about Robert Burck (The Cowboy's real name). Burck sued Mars this week for $6 million in federal court in New York. The allegations: trademark infringement under the Lanham Act and violation of his right of publicity under New York Civil Rights Law §51, arising from a video billboard for M&Ms."
Meat187
American lawsuits :rolleyes:
Zoso
I wonder what his yearly income is?
agentorange
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187

yea...

instead of saying "oh haha i made it into an m n ms commercial"..."its that i want to get a peice of mars so i dont have to stand out here like a dumbass anymore"
Zoso
He may have a case:

"All jokes aside, I think he may have a case. In order for him to show trademark infringement, The Naked Cowboy has to be trademarked; has to prove that Mars, without his consent, infringed upon the trademark; and has to show there's a "likelihood of confusion" between his trademark and the allegedly infringing mark -- in this case the naked M&M.

To state a claim under New York's civil rights law, Burck has to show that Mars used his name, portrait or picture for purposes of trade or advertising, and without his written consent.

Surprising to some -- at least to me -- The Naked Cowboy's name and likeness are in fact registered trademarks owned by Burck.

According to the complaint, Burck has licensed The Naked Cowboy name and/or likeness to companies for the purposes of advertising and endorsement. Mars, Inc., had no immediate comment."
jpisani
quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
I wonder what his yearly income is?

Yeah, I always wondered if his only source of income is the dollars thrown into his guitar case (or whatever the he does)?
Abercrombie
What's next, a Sikh suing the government for getting a ticket for not wearing a helmet on his motorcycle, because it doesn't fit over his turban, because forcing him to wear a helmet infringes on his right to practice his religion?
Ghost Raver
I saw the word "naked" and immediately thought this was some stupid spam again.. All the spam has ruined my brain, even worse than c0r :( Oh, we are in c0r.. see? :nervous:

Crazy lawsuits are crazy :eek:
tubularbills
lame.
Jake Benson
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187

Yeah well at least we never had a Holocaust :wtf:

So I read the title thinking a cowboy was suing the planet Mars. Now that would have been awesome. ing red planet will get what's coming to it someday.

Fledz
quote:
Originally posted by Jake Benson
Yeah well at least we never had a Holocaust :wtf:

Except for that whole genocide of American Natives and the racial segregation and slavery of Africans....:rolleyes:
Jake Benson
quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
Except for that whole genocide of American Natives and the racial segregation and slavery of Africans....:rolleyes:

And who started the slavery of Africans and took over the American Natives land in the beginning? Europeans.:o
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement